TMSS to kick-off 2008 unlimited competition season
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  1:41:27 PM  Show Profile
That is right!

The Tidewater Model Soaring Society has elected to hold an ESL/AMA sanctioned event at our home field in Smithfield, VA, on May 17th and 18th, 2008, and take advantage of what should be very good weather. Our event will kick-off unlimited soaring for the 2008 ESL season. Information regarding the TMSS, location and site of the contest can be found at: http://www.soartmss.com/

Some general information regarding the event:
1) While it is noted that Man-on-Man is the desired format, we were not sure if we would have the resources to make that work as well as it needed to be. As a result, we are targeting a basic ESL thermal-duration event. The format will be Sportsman, Expert, and Junior-Senior, open winch, with spot landings. The task times will be announced at the pilots' meeting, but come prepared to fly A LOT! Landing tasks will likely be FAI/F3J, but likely modified to be in 1pt increments. The item of note is what I refer to as the Ladder class. The Ladder class is for those who want to endeavor to have really long soaring flights without the hassle of precision timed flights. You will need to bring your automatic timer for this and be on your honor as no timers will be permitted (however, helpers could be allowed for folks who may need someone to take the controls to save the aircraft). The Ladder event is not an ESL task.

2) We will use ESL winches and TMSS retrievers. We have a lot of good equipment in this area.

3) Awards: 1st through 3rd Sport/Exp/Sat/Sun. 1st in Junior-Senior, Ladder, both days. Overall in Exp/Sport/Junior-Senior, Ladder.

4) Accomodations (sp?): For now, try the Smithfield Inn or the Smithfield Station. Both are very nice non-Days Inn type of hotels. Smith Station is on the Pagan River, really nice. The Smithfield Inn is a real nice bed-breakfest place, although I have never been inside. There is an Econolodge also in Smithfield.

Hope to see a lot of you there.

Thanks, Josh.

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  08:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Josh, good luck with the contest. I am sure it will be fun!

I have never heard of the Ladder class. Could you elaborate on it?

Thanks

Best of Luck!

Frank
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  08:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Josh,

Any chance you will incorporate a Novice group? Seems to be a great way to bring in new pilots who are hesitant to enter into competition. It has been a big success at the LISF events and he Daniel Boon events. Can't speak for the others.

If you are not clear on Novice, this might help:
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263

Just something to think about.

Ladder class is interesting, thought I don't fully understand it. Would one be able to fly Ladder AND Sportsman? Would the timing work out?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums

Edited by - aeajr on 03/05/2008 08:25:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  10:27:09 AM  Show Profile
Josh,

This is great news. I will see if I can make the contest. If I can, I will see if I can bring the line retrieval equipment that CRRC has used for the last two years. It has allowed us to run MOM on a field that otherwise would be tough to run this format on.

Welcome back to the ESL contest circuit.

Anker
Go to Top of Page

D_Ryan

5 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  5:28:17 PM  Show Profile
Ed;

Obviously Josh as CD would get the "final call", but I believe that the intent of the ladder class is to provide a low-pressure alternative to the ESL contest format, yet still encourage pilots to come out out for the camaraderie. As such, you will likely not be able to fly Sportsman and the Ladder event (at least not on the same day).

Perhaps Josh would permit you to fly Ladder on one day, and Sportsman on another.

To hopefully encourage more folks to come for the weekend, Busch Gardens Williamsburg is only an hours drive from the TMSS field, as are Jamestown (site of the first colony in America over 400 years ago), Yorktown (turning point in the Revolutionary War), and Williamsburg.

regards,
Dave Stack
Go to Top of Page

stew swanson

16 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  6:24:54 PM  Show Profile
Frank asked about how the Ladder task worked. It is often flown in "Woody" contests and will start with a 3 min. then each subsequent task (rung on the ladder) will be 2 or 3 min. longer. If you miss on a task (rung) you simply fly it again until you make and then move on to the next rung. Timing does not have to be precise justgo over the task time and land. Self- timing is the norm.
Josh has a neat twist on the Ladder. It uses the LSF task times of 5,10,15,30,60 and 120 min.so if you are putting off doing these tasks because you never seem to have the witnesses you need you have no further excuse. Be there
Stew (Ladder Day Saint) Swanson
Go to Top of Page

josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  08:14:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

We have some information collecting on the TMSS website. Check it out. I think for the LSF-Ladder task to work, you can only fly in the LSF-Ladder task OR Sport/Exp. Flying in both the LSF-Ladder task and Sport/Exp would not work-out since all/most of your time would be consumed by the nominal ESL-style Sport/Exp contest (i.e. time or fly or perhaps pitch-in to help the contest every now and then).

I was thinking that the Juniors could decide if they wanted to compete in the LSF-Ladder or Sportsman classes on the contest day. This could also work for the Novices. However, since the Novices are related to sportsmans, I am not sure about that. I guess if all the Novices went into the LSF-Ladder event they would get normalized scores (based on Novice scores). However, their points from that wouldn't integrated back into Sportsman.

Thoughts???

Thanks, Josh.

TMSS Website:
http://www.soartmss.com/id19.html
Go to Top of Page

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  08:29:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey Josh,

You can run any contest format you want with the Novices.

For the ESL sportsman/expert contestants I believe you can run any format you want as long as its announced beforehand and you are able to score everybody on an overall (expert) scale and the sportsmen only on a sportsman scale, both with scores from 0 to 1000 or some other numerical scale. You can't have mixed contest formats within the ESL classes because that makes it impossible to put everybody on the same scale. This also makes it impossible to have sportsmen and experts fly different formats.

Anker
Go to Top of Page

josh_glaab

50 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  10:44:13 AM  Show Profile
UPDATE... TMSS SPRING CHALLENGE TO GO M-O-M!!!!

Just to let you know that we got a lot of inputs from serveral folks and have decided to take it to the next level and give Man On Man a try for our May 17, and 18 TMSS Spring Challenge contest in Smithfield, VA. Initially, we were thinking about keeping it simple since it will be our first ESL contest in a while and have Open winch for all, but it seems like we have enough equipment, people-power, and enthusiasm to give M-O-M a try.

The LSF-Ladder task will still be open winch. Novice and Junior flyers will fly the LSF-Ladder task along with the LSF-Ladder event flyers.

Consider yourself challenged!

For more information TMSS website:
http://www.soartmss.com/

Please register at the ESL registration website.
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  4:11:33 PM  Show Profile
Josh's excellent contest report can be seen here:
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=327

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked