Ways to keep 'away' costs down
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  1:15:33 PM  Show Profile
Guys,

It was mentioned on another thread about contest attendance going down and that one reason was the cost to attend. I was wondering if anyone had ideas how to keep costs down.

I once spoke to John and he said a group of guys in ESL offer each other a spare room and when they go to the other's contest as a way to offset hotel costs.

As a first thought, could we start a list sort of like the car pool lists but instead of people who might have a spare room and would like to offer it. Pilots can get together and pair up so for example that if I have one on Long Island and someone in Baltimore has one and we would liek to go to each others' contest, we could each put the other up. (GET YOUR SPOUSES APPROVAL FIRST!!!!!)

If we could start a list of those who might offer, we could pair, triple, etc. people up. Maybe keep Names and emails posted. this doesn't just have to be pilots but also local club members willing to help out guys in the ESL.

Is it possible to do this?

Any other ideas???

Frank Nisita

stew swanson

16 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  5:54:27 PM  Show Profile
You might also consider camping. I started camping again when the motel I used to stay at the CASA meet raised it's price. The $24 (on sale) I spent for a new tent (gave my old one to my son) was only a third of the motel's rate and I have used it a number of times since.
Stew
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  7:21:27 PM  Show Profile
I think room exchanges are a good idea but I also think they are best arranged on a one on one basis.

Camping is a great idea. Not all fields allow it but I would be interested to know which ones do. I don't think the LISF field allows overnights.

Personally I have enjoyed car pooling to get to and from contests. Shared costs help reduce the expenses and it is a lot more fun to have someone to chat with on the trip to and from the contest.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

stew swanson

16 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  4:16:16 PM  Show Profile
I used to camp at LISF, 10+ years ago. Borrowed a gate key so I could go out for dinner. The local police patrol and after explianing why I was there there was no problem. BTW when I camp at CASA I use Frank's hose at the hanger to take a shower (has hot and cold water). At the Nats there are shower facilities.
Stew
Go to Top of Page

sadog

2 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  1:41:02 PM  Show Profile
The Daniel Boone homestead is a National Park. There are Cabins available to rent. Not sure how they handle if you want to leave the park grounds as the park gates are closed after 5:00 PM.

Go to Top of Page

sadog

2 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  1:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Followup on the Daniel Boone Homestead. It's a state park- Camping is Youth oriented. You might be able to talk your way in if you bring your son or daughter. http://www.danielboonehomestead.org/youth_camping.htm
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  10:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Good idea.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  4:09:28 PM  Show Profile
We now have a room and ride share forum. Take a look!
http://forums.flyesl.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=17

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000