Open discussion
 ava alternatives?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  6:27:11 PM  Show Profile
I actually kind of prefer RES. Would be cool to have something competitive of that sort. With the new job, I don't know that I'd have time to build an Easy (or otherwise) Bubble Dancer. Any alternatives to the AVA? Extra points if it looks a little different from any of the above. Thanks in advance.

Lincoln

(back in the dark ages I was promoted to expert flying a Sagitta 600)

P.S. It's possible if I put some new, less twitchy servos in the hand me down Mantis I will start to like it more.

Lincoln Ross

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  6:39:56 PM  Show Profile
Lincoln,

when you said "Easy" did you mean the "EZ Bubble Dancer" from Polecat, if not, you might want to consider it; nice kit, I have one in the box.

http://polecataero.com/products/ezbd

Jose
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  7:36:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, but that's what I meant. My building time is limited and I also want a good dlg (maybe even a 1.5m one), and maybe an electric, tho I could probably electrify the Mistral I got at an auction with no further purchases.

Lincoln Ross
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  11:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Here are a few to consider:

Topaz - $649
3.0 MRES built up composite wing ARF
http://www.hobbyclub.com/topazRes+.htm

Danny $649
3.0M RES Built up Composite ARF
http://www.hobbyclub.com/Danny-RES.htm

Soprano - $650
3.1M RES built up wing w/ carbon/Kevlar caps and D tube design - ARF
http://www.isthmusmodels.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=97
Review
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349693

More planes but not RES:
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=275

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums

Edited by - aeajr on 02/15/2007 11:15:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  11:27:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks. What are the reputations of the Topaz and Danny within ESL? (If the Soprano has an MH32, I'm not interested, based on what I've seen and heard at CRRC.) I recall that at one time the tip sections of the AVA were thought to be a bit weak. I bet that's fixed by now, but I don't know. I wonder if all of these are now as strong as the Bubble Dancer, or at least up to full pedal launches? Handling? (I bet none of them turns easier than the Buble Dancer.) Unfortunately, to me they all look very similar, but I guess I can deal. I can see going as small as 100" too. The skinflint in me wants to figure out a way to reinforce a JK Thermic wing.

Lincoln Ross

Edited by - lincoln on 02/16/2007 11:32:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  1:24:33 PM  Show Profile
You don't see a lot of RES planes in the ESL competitions, but as far as I know, these are all full pedal launching planes.

I have seen a couple of AVAs and I have seen Mark Drela fly his original BD. ( defies gravity ) I have seen a small mix of 2 - 3M wood RES planes. But mostly people fly 3+ M full house planes.

Of course they all look very similar. All sailplanes look very similar, except maybe a carbon boom as opposed to a fuselage. The Mantis/Agea/Supra are an exception here.

These are all 3+M, light weight, RES planes. Short of a flying wing, how different would you expect them to be? This is the sweet spot for RES unlimited. Your were expecting maybe a molded wing?

We will see if anyone chimes in.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums

Edited by - aeajr on 02/16/2007 1:27:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  7:07:42 PM  Show Profile
I've actually had a chance at the sticks on a Bubble Dancer. Mark's become a very good pilot, but it's also a very good glider, as you'd expect. Very maneuverable for its size.

I started the hobby in the mid '80's, and all sailplanes didn't look the same, unless they were Dodgson's. We didn't have things so optimized then. In 2 meter, we weren't anywhere near optimal and a lot of different designs could seem to fly well.

One area where we may be aerodynamically optimal but not ergodynamically is in fuselage cross section. You could often actually see the fuselage of a glider quite a ways off, which made them easier to fly. You could grab them more easily too, although the Mantis isn't so bad this way either. Terry Luckenbach used to compete with a scale job which was probably about 10" in diameter at the largest point. And win sometimes.

I've done better in contests with RES than aerf. Less fiddly and much easier to fly. For some reason, I found an IO pretty good for contests too, but it broke too easily. It was VERY easy to land. T tail with spoilers, no pitching when deployed, without a mix. Ailerons mechanically mixed with rudder. Three servos.

Nothing's going to enable me to beat Tom Keasling more often than once in a blue moon, even if I start flying a lot of contests again and practicing all the time. Probably is now true about Mark as well. However, I've been flying junk for years, and that doesn't help.

Lincoln Ross
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  11:23:20 PM  Show Profile
I look at it this way. The pilot is the key to the good flight, but a good plane can allow that good pilot to turn that flight into an excellent flight.

Anyone can beat Tom, with enough time and dedications and training. If you want to beat the best you have to be willing to work for it. That goes WAY beyond the plane, any plane. There are no short cuts, although a top notch plane can help put you on the fast track. Still you need the skills and that takes practice and study and work.

Maybe some day, if I get motivated enough, I will challenge the big boys. For now, I am just thrilled to be in the same sky with them. I measure success not by the wins and the losses but by personal bests and meeting the challenges I set for myself.

Yes, I could do this by myself but it would not be the same. It wouldn't be as much fun and I would not know whether I got lucky or I had exhibited skills. For that I need other pilots in the same sky as I. Then I can measure myself against my personal bests, and theirs.

So, Lincoln, which ESL contests will you be flying this year? Sportsman or Expert? If you fly Sportsman, then I want to know which RES plane will you be using to try and beat me and my Thermal Dancer?

I love a good contest! Wanna play?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums

Edited by - aeajr on 02/16/2007 11:24:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  01:01:22 AM  Show Profile
It wouldn't be right for me to fly Sportsman. I read somewhere that you can now fall back, but I don't want to. I hope to be at the CRRC events. Having an S.O. a long ways off really cuts into contest attendance, even though I could now afford to go to a bunch of events.

If you want to beat Tom consistently, you have to make sure that you have at LEAST twice as much time to practice as he does. Well, I suppose there are SOME people with his level of talent, but for someone like me it would take at least that much. I used to fly with him and noticed that he learned a LOT more with a given amount of practice than I ever could. The way to beat Tom is to be reasonably well prepared and very lucky.

A good pilot on a good day can turn in a perfect flight with a mediocre airplane. And you can't beat that. I didn't turn in perfect flights, but I got bumped up into expert on the basis of what I did with a 2 meter. Versus Windsongs (17:1 aspect ratio, the best airfoil of its time, flaps, ailerons, etc. 134" span, and way too much pilot workload).

I don't need to win to have a good time, though I admit it doesn't hurt. I enjoy competing with other people who also don't NEED to win. It's no fun either beating or losing to someone who MUST win.

Lincoln Ross
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  06:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Well, I will be flying 5 winch events this year, God willing. And hopefully I will be a better pilot at the end of the season than I was at the start.

I am going to fly one hand launch too. I am not a serious competitor here, but it is fun. I will be flying a R/E Quick Flick that I am building now. 50" Its a start.

I have never seen a RES DLG. Do they make them?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums

Edited by - aeajr on 02/17/2007 06:59:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  3:05:34 PM  Show Profile
idn't Polecat Aero just release a RE DLG? Or do you mean with spoilers too? I've got to think that in those sizes, spoilers would be hard to make, and very draggy even when closed. Several years ago, rudder elevator dlg weren't very unusual. Mark told me there was some disadvantage in launch height. I'm sure there's an agility disadvantage as well, although they're going to be easier to fly far out.

An Apogee with ailerons has a roll rate which begins to exceed the responses of a 46 year old nervous system. But it's nice to be able to almost stop in flight.
quote:
Originally posted by aeajr

Well, I will be flying 5 winch events this year, God willing. And hopefully I will be a better pilot at the end of the season than I was at the start.

I am going to fly one hand launch too. I am not a serious competitor here, but it is fun. I will be flying a R/E Quick Flick that I am building now. 50" Its a start.

I have never seen a RES DLG. Do they make them?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums

Lincoln Ross
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  5:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Yes, there are many R/E DLGs, but I have never seen one with a spoiler. Guess it really adds no advantage since you normally catch them and they fly pretty slow.

And yes, Polecat did come out with a R/E DLG.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  12:25:29 PM  Show Profile
Anyone know anything about the Chicago Style? Thinking of buying a used one. 3 meters, RES

On the DLG issue, I'll soon have an idea about RES DLG, as I'm supposed to get one in a couple of weeks.

Lincoln Ross
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  4:16:26 PM  Show Profile
Lincoln,

I know we have passed some messages back an forth on RC Groups but I don't recall if you ever got that RES plane you were looking for.

I purchased an AVA and I just love it. I may fly it in the ESL contests.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  11:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Suggest ginkgo biloba.;-) We have corresponded numerous times on RC Groups.I broke down and got an Ava.

Lincoln Ross
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  11:42:44 PM  Show Profile
It flies great. Now if I can just learn to land it closer to the spot.... Maybe I need to go back to the Oly 2.

Lincoln Ross
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  10:21:29 AM  Show Profile
As you have probably read, but for the benefit of anyone reading here, I have been testing my AVA with wind and ballast. The most I have put into it is 12 oz as that is all I have been able to fit into the ballast tube. That takes me up to about 27% ballast load. With that in there the AVA flew pretty well in a 10-12 mph wind with gusts to 20.

I would not venture far down wind but I was able to push up wind to a moderate degree. I did not have problems landing it. That is to say I was no worse than I am with my full house planes.

I am going to go from lead shot in a brass tube for ballast and melt the shot to see if I can get the ballast tube up to 14 oz. If not, I will try and make a saddle ballast for teh CG area under the wings. Goal is to get it up to 16 oz of ballast, or about 36% overall ballast load.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  12:05:04 AM  Show Profile
Managed to smash the Ava. Two new tips required, since I don't have a jig to fix the old ones. (my wallet hurts). Also need to do laparoscopic surgery on fuse as it is smashed an inch or two behind the first bulkhead at the back of the servo area. Not sure how to do that.

Lincoln Ross
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  7:40:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lincoln

Managed to smash the Ava. Two new tips required, since I don't have a jig to fix the old ones. (my wallet hurts). Also need to do laparoscopic surgery on fuse as it is smashed an inch or two behind the first bulkhead at the back of the servo area. Not sure how to do that.

Now this IS disappointing. I feel your pain.

Hopefully you will be in attendence at the CRRC contest in August. I just singned up. Will have AVA and Supra in hand. Hope you will be there.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000