Advancement points
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  1:14:02 PM  Show Profile
Guys just a quick question:

I was looking at some contests and noticed the advancement points. I also saw that if the contest has many more Experts than points it is rare for a sportsman to get any and if there are fewer experts than advancement points then sportsmen tend to get a few of them.

Shouldn't we limit the number of points to be no greater than the number of experts in attendance? This way for you to get advancement points you would have to be flying better than at least one or more experts in that contest.

Do you see what I mean? I may not be describing it well. What would happen if no experts attended and all the points went to Sportsmen and this happened at 2 contests. Theoretically, you could have a Sportsman get enough points to be moved up but not have the the skills to fly with experts.

Just a thought.

I guess I am always thinking too much....

Thanks for the input guys

Frank

F3jeb

103 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  11:15:40 AM  Show Profile
The system was design with the idea to encourage attendance and competition, in another words, if “top Pilots” doesn’t want to see a expert grunt racking up points, then they would attend to make sure the scores where properly curved, in turn all things would work out for the sportsman as well, including advancement points

When I started in TD, I do recall a few sportsman moved up to expert in the first year, and well deserved… well, I hear comments from others – such as “well, if this had been 2 years prior” (when attendance was even greater the days of 80 people contest) those guys would have never moved up… to me that sounds like sour grapes…

If a top pilot doesn’t want to see me racking up points, then my answer is go to the contest or shut up, I don’t want to over hear anyone complaining – I am mostly saying this for DLG
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  1:20:49 PM  Show Profile
Thnak Jose for the feedback. I guess you are right. I keep looking at the advancement point system as strictly a means to move up and not as a means to increase attendance. This is why I suggest the limitation based on expert attendance.

Cool.

I am looking at the high gas prices and feel that attendnace might be lower due to that and so a little reform might be needed to meet the times. It is unfortunate if gas prices will force us to do that.

I like to think that most Sportsmen like to see how they place among Experts - it is our pastime to compare how we might do against the big guns! As for me, I know where I place - somewhere near the bottom :) !

Frank
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000