Open discussion
 Hyper DLG Assembly Instructions?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  8:06:59 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have experience assembling the Hyper DLG?
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3059

I just purchased one and it did not appear to come with assembly instructions. Most of it's pretty straightforward, but I'm not sure about mounting the servos in the fuselage pod, and there don't appear to be precut slots for the control horns. Also, the horizontal stab appears not to be a symmetrical airfoil. Does the high camber side go up or down? Thanks for any help.

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  12:01:55 PM  Show Profile
Here's a picture of mine. The airframe weighs about 6.2 oz.

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF

Edited by - Duane on 11/23/2006 12:03:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  6:51:24 PM  Show Profile
Duane,

It looks very nice, let us know what's your AUW.... Here is a link to servo layout on this plane...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499588&page=5&pp=15

Jose
Go to Top of Page

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  11:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Is http://www.tailboom.com/ the best place to get teflon pushrod guide tubing? What is the reason you stretch the tubing? The stock steel pushrods seem pretty heavy, so I think I may order carbon rods from ACP.

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF
Go to Top of Page

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  9:42:58 PM  Show Profile
The stock tail pushrods appear to be 0.036" music wire with 0.077" O.D. plastic tubes. Each wire and tube together weigh 5 grams. Any suggestions whether to go with 0.03" carbon rod or 0.015" stainless steel spring wire? I'm not sure how to determine which would be lighter, without buying some of each. The elevator pushrod will probably be arranged as pull-down/push-up, since the elevator will be above the tail boom.

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF
Go to Top of Page

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  9:11:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm planning to use Blue Bird BMS-303 servos, 4g each.

The Sombra Labs Lepton 5 weighs 10g. Radio, less battery, weighs 28g.

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF
Go to Top of Page

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  8:27:56 PM  Show Profile
I've got two batteries to choose from, a 150 mAh which weighs 18 g and a 400 mAh which weighs 36 g. The 150 fits all the way in the nose and the 400 fits most of the way (within about 1/2").

I'm not sure how long the 150 will be good for. I'll try to do some testing to see how much current the 303's draw.

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF
Go to Top of Page

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  11:49:56 PM  Show Profile
A preliminary mock-up for balance shows that the 400 mAh is somewhere around 12 g short of what I need to balance. I can either add lead to the nose in front of the battery, or buy a heavier battery (probably a NiCad).

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  09:53:07 AM  Show Profile
Duane,

If you haven't fly yet, you might want to add the extra led and find your ideal CG, and then see if you need the extra battery.

Nice job

Jose
Go to Top of Page

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  10:57:56 AM  Show Profile
No, I haven't flown yet. I've had little time to work on it so far. I found some small lead sinkers, four of which weigh 13 g, which balance it around 35% of the root chord. I don't recall the exact measurement. Total weight is still under 270 g. I wanted to start with the right battery, since I wasn't sure how easy it would be to put a new one in once the servos are in place, but I can live with nose weight as long as it's under 10 oz total.

I may decide to use a switched DC power jack instead of the micro switch. I assume I can wire the jack so that the battery is connected to the plug when inserted, and to the receiver when the plug is removed, so that it functions as a charge jack and receiver switch. Any thoughts on which would be more reliable?

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF
Go to Top of Page

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  3:32:11 PM  Show Profile
I picked up a DC power jack at Radio Shack (274-1582) and plugs (274-1569), which I think I will try instead of the micro slide switch. The jack weighs 2g, and includes a NC switch opened when you insert the plug. It will be similar to the micro switch jack at http://www.hollyday.com/rich/hd/sailplanes/msjinstructions.htm but with a power jack instead of an audio jack. There shouldn't be any risk of shorts with the power jack. The plugs are about 5mm longer than needed. I didn't notice if they had shorter plugs of the same diameter.

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000