Open discussion
 Value DLG
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:45:10 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone suggest a DLG suitable for an experienced pilot new to DLGs, preferably that doesn't cost $300-400. Kits are OK, though an ARF would save time which I don't have in excess.

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  09:11:02 AM  Show Profile
Depends on what you want. You will not get Kevlar in that price range, only glass.

I think the Long Shot was about $250 but there is now the Long Shot II. (Drela airfoil on both, I think)
Art Hobby sells a bunch of polar veneered models that are in the $100 - $200 range. I do not know what airfoils they use.

and a few other stuff from Mountain Models/Laser Arts.

I read somewhere that a light weight plane could launch higher so that might be a criteria to add to your decision making process. Mark's airfoils really help in drag reduction, penetration and overall performance (thanks Mark!!).

You might try to look on www.rcgroups.com for a used DLG. you might get a more competitive plane for a reasonable price.

There are also some very competitive limited span models out there. the plane Jose sells , is it, the Allegro 400 at ECM really few great at LISf HLG contest. Even with the 10 + winds it was holding its own pretty well. Got to love that little plane!
there is the built up, limited span stuff - DL 50(I think it is limited span), Quik Flik II too.

Good luck and Welcome to the DLG/SAL community!! They are great fun!!

Frank Nisita
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  12:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Duane,

You probably want to seriously consider the Arrow Sport, by Pacific Glider Works

http://www.pacificgliderworks.com/arrowsport.html

Jose
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  1:58:44 PM  Show Profile
I thought the Arrow was $299 for the glass one. that's why I didn't recommend it - outside the listed budget.
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  12:34:14 AM  Show Profile
Hey, you are right he did say below $250.00; the arrow is now down to $280.00 still $30.00 above budget, but worth a look. And the Long Shot is also nice plane in the less expensive side. Thanks for the kind words on the Apogee 400 :)

Jose
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  07:52:22 AM  Show Profile
I would take Jose's suggestion, the arrow sounds like a great plane at a great price. A few dollars more and you have a really competitve plane.

As for the Allegro 400, let the truth be known! A limited span plane that floats and flies as well as that should be shouted from the rooftops. I guess that's why there aren't too many composite limited span planes around. That one seems to beat all comers!

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Duane

24 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  09:53:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice. I got a good deal on the Hyper DLG, so I'm giving that a try.
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3059

Right now, I just wanted something I can fly in the yard without laying out the hi-start. I'm still interested in taking a look at the Arrow Sport or the Allegro 400 later on.

Duane
CASA, FARM, LSF
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  6:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Duane,

There is no Allegro 400, but I do manufacture a plane called the Apogee 400, but that is a 40" span performance Micro; but for competition you want something in the 1.5M span.

Jose
www.flyecm.com
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:31:06 PM  Show Profile
My bad
Frank
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  8:12:31 PM  Show Profile
You can check this thread in the Novice Lounge with lists a number of DLGs that may strike your interest:
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=230

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000