Open discussion
 Is an AMA # required for ESL contest?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  1:22:54 PM  Show Profile
It was asked of me if a person who does not have an AMA # can compete in an ESL contest?

Same question above but the contest is also an AMA sanctioned event.

thanks for the help

Frank

raschow

8 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  7:10:17 PM  Show Profile
ESL contests are required to be AMA sanctioned, so AMA membership is required for entry (most CDs would require AMA anyway, sanctioned or not). Or to answer your questions another way, no & no!
Good Lift!

Good Lift!
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  9:51:54 PM  Show Profile
How do we handle a person who comes from out of the country to compete?
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  2:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Again it is handle in the same way, they would have to work it out through the AMA; they still would have to show proof at the contest. As a courtesy you may contact the AMA and find out what it is required for an international pilot and help to facilitate the process. Other than that the ESL does not have any special condition for none AMA members.

Jose
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  7:51:01 PM  Show Profile
I just went through the paperwork that was sent from the AMA. They say that only AMA and MAAC (what are MAAC??) memebrs can compete in AMA sanctioned contests. I quote ,"Only AMA or MACC members can be permitted to fly in an AMA sanctioned meet. Exception: Foreign entrants must show proof of current membership in their national aero club and comply with requirements for affiliate membership.". So iguess foreign pilots can compete if they are members of a national club like the AMA. Also listed as exclusions is youth and Senior AMA members can also compete.

I got this off the green form labeled "Instructions to Contest Directors".

Thaks for the info. We had word that someone from Canada wanted to come and compete in our unlimited contest this September. I was wondering how to handle it.

Thanks guys for your input. Always willing to learn more.

Thanks again

Frank
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  9:34:22 PM  Show Profile
That needs to be interpreted by the club and CD, the AMA may say anything. But if a particular club deems someone with out AMA insurance coverage a risk, they may choose not to honor a foreign entity.

In another words this really should be discus between the host club and the AMA, particularly in the event of an accident, Who would be liable? Who would provide coverage, the AMA or the foreign entity? This is not clear in the language. If the foreign entity provides coverage, what are their requirements of members traveling to other countries? And what do they require of a contest in order to provide coverage?

This is something that should be taken seriously by any club, since it is about protecting the interest of many over one/few entries.
Go to Top of Page

jsteifel

40 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  09:14:23 AM  Show Profile
MAAC is Canadian version of AMA if I remember. They don't need to be AMA. Doug Pike comes down from Canada each year to compete at our Nats.

quote:
Originally posted by Fly2High

I just went through the paperwork that was sent from the AMA. They say that only AMA and MAAC (what are MAAC??) memebrs can compete in AMA sanctioned contests. I quote ,"Only AMA or MACC members can be permitted to fly in an AMA sanctioned meet. Exception: Foreign entrants must show proof of current membership in their national aero club and comply with requirements for affiliate membership.". So iguess foreign pilots can compete if they are members of a national club like the AMA. Also listed as exclusions is youth and Senior AMA members can also compete.

Thaks for the info. We had word that someone from Canada wanted to come and compete in our unlimited contest this September. I was wondering how to handle it.

Thanks again

Frank

Jeff Steifel
Go to Top of Page

jsteifel

40 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  09:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Actually you misread the statement. Foreigners must show proof of membership in their national org before they can get an AFFILIATE MEMBERSHIP in OUR AMA. They need to get an AMA AFFILIATE LICENSE.
The South Africans had to do this 2 years ago when they came to our nats before the F3J worlds.

You have to read carefully the leagaleeze.

quote:
Originally posted by Fly2High

Thanks again

Frank

Jeff Steifel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000