Open discussion
 Scoring man-on-man
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  9:46:15 PM  Show Profile
There is some confusion, understandably, about sportman vs. expert scoring in man-on-man contests.

At issue is that I have to calculate advancement points for the sportsmen, which are calculated from the overall standing.

But since all flights are sportsman vs. sportsman and expert vs. expert there is a challenge in determining the overall position.

After a lot of discussion we decided on the following formula: Take the normnalized scores of experts "as is". For sportsmen adjust the normalized score by the ratio of the best raw scores of the top expert and the top sportsman. This normally reduces the normalized scores of the sportsmen.

Simple, ain't it?

Anker

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  8:58:02 PM  Show Profile
OK, Dumb question of the day.

What are advancement points?

I don't see anyplace on the site that explains the point system or how one is scored. Can you point me to something?

What are the tasks? Are there different kinds?

How many planes would there have to be to form a 2 Meter class, or a RES class at a contest, or is that totally out of the relm of what ESL does?

Where would I find 2 meter and RES contests?

So, that is a bunch of dumb questions.

Best regards,
aeajr
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com

Edited by - aeajr on 02/06/2004 9:03:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

F3jeb

103 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  06:53:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I don't see anyplace on the site that explains the point system or how one is scored. Can you point me to something?

Under the standings section there is a link.
http://www.flyesl.com/scores/sca.asp

Thank you

Jose

Edited by - F3jeb on 02/07/2004 06:56:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  7:20:42 PM  Show Profile
OK,

Now I get what advancement points are ... mostly.

Now I would like to understand how point and positions are calculated.

Here is what I think I know. Notice I said I THINK I know.

1) Experts compete with experts and sportsman compete with sportsman

2) Man on man means that for a given round these flyers are scored against each other. So, if 4 people launch on the round, the best score, no matter what it is, becomes 100 and everyone gets a percentage of that. Kind of like grading on a curve at school.

3) I don't understant how final ranking is done within class at the end of the day

4) I don't understnad how the tasks are decided or how landing points are set.

Other items:

Normally competition is done off of ESL winches. Can someone compete off of a hi-start?

Is it possible to establish informal classes at an event. So, for example, expert 2 meter, expert unlimited? For ESL purposes they would be ranked as one but for the contest day, there would be a top pilot for each class in expert

Rules on pop-offs? What about line breaks?

Does a pilot have to stick with one plane for the entire competition or can they change planes?

Are you allowed to bring your own timer person? Would seem to open things to "favorable" scoring.

Are there any restrictions on planes? Max size, max weight, minimums?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I am going to prep for competition, I would like to know the rules.

Best regards,
aeajr
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000