Open discussion
 Advice for a new ESL pilot
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  10:25:21 AM  Show Profile
OK all you soaring wizards, I am a 1 year flyer asking for some advice.

I have about 100 glider flights and 200 electic parkflyer flights. I am now thinking of entering the June ESL event.

I can hi-start the glider into the air pretty well and I can find thermals, mostly, but clearly need to practice. Precision landing and winch launching are still in need of deep work to even approach competence.

Now I am thinking of trying my first ESL competition in June at the LISF field in Syosset. Maybe I'm nuts but it seems like a good goal to help me improve my flying.

What would you suggest I read to prepare myself for the competition in relation to rules, strategies for thermal hunting, preparing for the landing, managing time. I get SilentFlyer, so I have that one covered.

Or perhaps you have some practice routines you would like to post here to help me sharpen my skills. Competiton procedures or field procedures that I should know about. I worked the June and September events this past year as a timer and just helping out. I may have even timed for you.

I ofcourse plan to practice as much as possible and have at least one coach willing to help me improve my skills. However I am always looking for more help. Any tips are appreciated

I am not worried about winning or even placing well this year. I just want to challenge myself and measure myself against better pilots. Maybe next year I will worry about winning.

I will fly either a Great Planes Spirit 2M RES, or a Sagitta 600 2 Meter RES. If you have any thoughts on these two planes, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Best regards,
aeajr
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com

Edited by - aeajr on 01/27/2004 10:55:41 AM

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  8:04:33 PM  Show Profile
aeajr,

Now that's an interesting name!

It is not crazy at all. My first glider flight was at a contest with a borrowed plane.

I am not sure I qualify as one of the gurus you are looking for, but here's my 2c worth:

A) Get the sagitta. It is an infinitely better plane than the Spirit.

B) Find someone to coach you. Someone you are confortable with. Soneone who won't ply the plane by talking you through every manouver, but will tell you what he sees.

C) Don't be shy. Ask questions, chat with the other flyers.

Good luck and see you at the contests!

Anker
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  10:05:19 PM  Show Profile
My name is Ed Anderson, Anker, and I am a member of the Long Island Silent Flyers.

I remember you from the June and September events, unless there is another Anker who flys in the ESL events in Syosset. I am not sure if I timed for you.

I alrady own the Sagitta 600, so no problem with that. I only have about 20 flights on it. I am still getting used to it's faster fight characteristics.

Yep, I have at least one coach.

Who knows, maybe with a little work, I can do OK. Perhaps you will time for me at the event and give me a few tips.

Thanks!

I appreciate any advice. I look forward to seeing you in June and September.

Best regards,
aeajr
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com
Go to Top of Page

jon stone

12 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  10:37:42 PM  Show Profile
Read "Old Buzzard’s Soaring Book" by Dave Thornburg. Here's one place that seems to carry it. http://www.carstens-publications.com/hangar/a11560.html

• Learn to "read the air". The book will help.

• Launch a lot on your own club' winches.

• Ask for someone you respect to give you advice while you fly. He might say "fly over there". Ask him why he said that. Learn to read the signs of the changing air around you.

• Bring a carpet mat each time you fly. Try to land every flight as close to the mat as possible.

• Try to make 10 minutes every time you fly.

Hint: don't try anything new at contests. (i.e. zoom launches) Good way to break your plane.
Go to Top of Page

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  7:58:23 PM  Show Profile
I'll be happy to, Ed.

I plan to come to both LISF contests. See you there.

Anker
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  1:10:55 PM  Show Profile
Minor update.

My coach, Ray Juschkus, says I am not going to compete with my Spirit or my Sagitta 600, he wants me to get the 3 meter Airtronics Legend in the air. I recently purchased it used from another club member. I have not flown it yet.

I had not planned to fly that one till after the June event. Looks like I will be flying the big plane sooner than planned. So now I am getting this one prepared for flight.

I knew entering a contest was going to push my learning curve.

Watch out guys, student flyer coming through! Ha ha!

Best regards,
aeajr
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com
Go to Top of Page

F3jeb

103 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  1:57:10 PM  Show Profile
Aeajr,

I think you will have alot of fun, as for what kind of ship you should fly is entirely up to you (and you coach) but mostly you.

The only requirement is that you must be able to fly safely, which means you are going to have to practice a few things wile training with your coach.

• One should be able to fly in tight packs

• One should be able to avoid collision either in the air or with pilots on the ground

• One should be able to launch on command and in control

• One should be able to land in control

• One should NEVER over-shoot a landing and hit another standing pilot

• One should . . .

Safety comes before our pretty planes, so ‘dorking’ before hurting.

Contest safety is very achievable with practice, if you feel you are in more command of your ‘woody’ than your three meter by the first contest, then you will have a decision to make.

The important thing is to be safe and to have fun, and win if you can.

See you out there

Jose

Edited by - F3jeb on 02/11/2004 1:57:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  3:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Jose,

Thanks for the tips on the importance of safety.

Absolutely! I am in total agreement!

My "student driver" comment was apparently a poor attempt at humor while at the same time a solicitation for input and suggestions. Yours are very good and much appreciated.

One that I had not given much thought to but I am sure will be part of my training is the one about flying in packs. While I have been in thermals with other planes, it had not occured to me that this was specifically a skill I need to work on. You are absolutely right.

I would never knowingly flying at any time, much less in a contest, in a manner that was unsafe. If I feel I am not ready, I will back out rather than risk the safety of the people around me. The safety of the plane comes last, of course.

We all say that safety goes without saying, but I am glad you said it so that it is at the top of my mind.

If you noted the first post, while I am only flying a year, I do have over 300 flights under my belt, both electric and sailplanes. Before the contest I will have at least another hundred, with the vast majority on the new plane. Even before I decided to enter the contest there have been days when I put out the up-start and just work on launching and landing for hours.

I am both nervous and excited about June. Reaching out to experienced people has been very helpful to me. That is why I am reaching out here.

I commit to you and to everyone in ESL that if I am not ready to compete, I won't, regardless of which plane I bring.

Keep the pointers coming guys. I value them!

Best regards,
aeajr
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com

Edited by - aeajr on 02/11/2004 3:31:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

stew swanson

16 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  5:07:57 PM  Show Profile
Try to get out to club contest/practice sessions when a winch is available. At first have someone throw the plane and operate the
pedal then you can operate the pedal while they release the plane and finally you can do the whole thing. watch others as they launch light plane and get a feel for the tap-tap-tap on the pedal.
Stew
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  6:35:35 PM  Show Profile
The winch is my first challenge. I was learning the winch back in October. On my third launch on my own, the launch went bad and my Spirit was returned to kit form. Recently finished the rebuild.

In the meantime I have been practicing my flying wih with the Sagitta 600 which I launch off my hi-start or have someone else winch launch for me.

I now hold one of the winches for the club, so I have it available for me all the time. It will be my first item to learn. I will use the 2M planes to do that while I finish readying the 3M for flight.

Curious, since I can't find any rules for the competitions, let me ask here. Do I have to launch my own plane, or can someone handle the winch while I fly the plane? Is that allowed?

I just wish our NY weather would clear up so I could get in some practice. Haven't really flown since Christmas week! Slope soared briefly a couple of weeks ago, but it was too cold to continue.

Very frustrating.

Best regards,
aeajr
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com

Edited by - aeajr on 02/11/2004 9:27:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

stew swanson

16 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  10:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Yes you can fly the plane while someone else throws it and operates the pedal also if you wish.
Stew
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  9:39:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jon stone

Read "Old Buzzard’s Soaring Book" by Dave Thornburg. Here's one place that seems to carry it. http://www.carstens-publications.com/hangar/a11560.html
[/i]

I got the book. I love it! Thanks for the recommendation. You can be sure I willbe studying this one.

Best regards,
aeajr
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  9:45:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stew swanson

Try to get out to club contest/practice sessions when a winch is available. At first have someone throw the plane and operate the
pedal then you can operate the pedal while they release the plane and finally you can do the whole thing. watch others as they launch light plane and get a feel for the tap-tap-tap on the pedal.
Stew

I arrived at the field today at 9AM with upstart, Winch and two 2 Meter RES planes. Left the field at 4:30. Wind was 18 MPH when I started and almost dead calm when I left.

I got a lot of winch time today. Unfortunately I found out the limits of my Spirit by breaking one of the wings on my 10th launch on that plane. I did't think I pushed it any harder than any other launch, but the left wing let go.

Managed about 25 winch launches on the Sagitta 600. Ran the winch battery down flying by myself. The winch and I are not yet friends, but we are learning to get along. Clearly the Sagitta's wings are much stronger than the Spirit's.

Both planes were flying beautifully today. I had about 10-12% ballast on the Sagitta during the windy part of the day. Spirt was not ballasted, but the wind was down to about 10 MPH when I took it out.

Good day!

Best regards,
aeajr
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000