Open discussion
 ESL Scoring for year
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Fritz

19 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  4:36:51 PM  Show Profile
OK, another lost weekend of no flying...

In looking at the history of the ESL point system, one sees that if one wants to place well in the ESL, the landing contests are the best for acquiring End-of-Season points. This is because the thermals are plentiful, and you only lose fractions of a point from the winner's score per flight, and at the end of the day, almost everybody who flew gets 99% of the winner's score.

The truly challenging contests, on the other hand, get short-changed. The End-of-Season contest last year, for example, the 2nd place finisher got less than 90% of the winner's score. So, do you want to avoid the challenge, and score well, or accept the challenge?

Here is an algorithm to weigh the "harder" contests more on par with the "landing contests" for you to mull in this sub-zero weather:

Your normalized score is:
= 100*[1-.5*(winner's score-your score)/(winner's score-median score)].

Features:
You still get 100 points for winning.

The middle person of a contest gets 75 points no matter how good, or poorly he did with respect to the winner. Everyone else gets points proportional to how well they did with respect to the winner AS WELL AS the pilot in the middle.
If the winner ends up with 2500 points at the end of the day, you get 2400, but the median score is 1250, and then your score is 96,the same as the current 96. This will tend to spread the scoring.

If it were just a landing contest, and the median is 2400, and you get 2400, the scoring is more spread- you only get 75 points.

There is a chance to get negative points, so Anker must add that scores are greater-or-equal to zero to his routine.

This system should give proportionately more points to the more challenging contests. I used the median score (middle score between the highest and lowest) to account for entries who only flew one or less round. The Median was artificially set at 75 points by using my 0.5 multiplier, cuz we all know mediocre scores are only worth a "C".

-Fritz

Edited by - Fritz on 01/28/2004 7:25:18 PM

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  8:07:42 PM  Show Profile
In addition to the official ESL scores and placements I will post scores using Fritz' algorithm. I have been searching for an ajusted scoring system, and I think Fritz is onto something. At the end of the season, after we have seen how it works, we can discuss the merits and decide what to do with is.

Anker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000