Eastern Soaring Talk
Eastern Soaring Talk
Home | Active Topics | Search | FAQ

Please register to post in these Forums
 All Forums
 ESL TALK
 Open discussion
 Anyone interested in inter-club competitions?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  10:41:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi guys,

some of us at LISF were thinking of two different types of competition between clubs. One was to invite another club for an event for a battle between clubs.

A second idea was built on the idea of teams and how the FAI events score for a country. It would go something like this (not in stone and open to suggestions)

At all ESL events, you would register not only your class but what club you belong to.

Club scoring:
1. One way was to add up all the points for all pilots from a club are added together to come up with a club score. then we compare club scores.

2. A second and probably better would be to add the top 3 pilots scores from a club to get a club score.

Either we can use this score as is, add the top 8 or so scores for a final total (similar to what we already do for TD and HL but use more scores) or we can assign a point value to the place of the club score based on the ordering of the summed pilot's totals for each club. For example, if club A's piltos sum is the highest, they would be in first place, they would get 5 points, the second place club would get 3 points and the third place club would get 1 point. At the end of the year the club with the most points or largest total summed scores is declared the winner.

this can be done for both TD and hand launch and combined for final analysis.

this might get more guys to show from each club at contests to represent their club and might be fun for bragging rights that I am apart of the 'best' club.

other than manipulating the data, there would be nothing more needed to be done for the second version. All the data is probably already in our database and just needs to mined. For the war between clubs, it would just need to have some outside ESL events.

With the schedule as tight as it is already, I think the second would be the way to go.

Let me know what you think....

Frank

Edited by - Fly2High on 07/08/2010 11:13:25 AM

JimC

15 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  2:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Frank,

Check out the ESL EOS for handlaunch thread on RCG. You may just get what you asked about for hand launch only. With the proven low crossover for TD and DLG, the combined race may be a bit low on turnout.
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  12:47:26 PM  Show Profile
The discussion is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278456&page=3

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  10:36:01 AM  Show Profile
Ed,

From my experience and feedback from many of ESL pilots, especially TD; most don't take part on RCG; there is nothing wrong with carrying a thread here in addition to RCG

Thank you
Jose E. Bruzual
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  5:47:15 PM  Show Profile
I agree that there is nothing wrong with discussoin threads here. I probably hold the record for starting the most discussion threads on the ESL Forums.

We do have several discussions going at this time thanks to some recent forum registrations that you provided. Thanks.

But there are also dicussions of interest on other forums. The discussion that is reference by JimC is on RCG. It is related to the EOS HL contest.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson

Edited by - aeajr on 09/07/2010 12:45:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  12:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Hey Frank,

Other than the EOS HL trash talk, has anyone shown interest in the inter club contests you discuss in your first post?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  2:01:25 PM  Show Profile
At Delaware, there were comments brought up about beating the LISF boys and the DLG EOS thread has lots discussing teams, who's going to win and what not. Eventhough it is trash talk, what else would it be when you have teams!! The point is, there was mention of bringing other guys to support their club so isn't that what we want - more guys in attendance at contests? Also, that DLG EOS thread has gotten tons of hits, more than even bigger contests, and that thread hasn't been out that long.

So far it has only be discussed as an informal thing but I think if we state we will be doing club scoring by some method and actually do it, it might get bigger next year and have more interest. I think until someone did MOM, it would not have taken off. I think the same applies here. Someone has to post those scores and advertise that they were going to do it and it too might generate additional interest......

I think it is another way to generate interest and possibly drum up attendance.

I see it as a good thing. If Doug wants to generate the scores per club or at least gather who is from what club, a simple spreadsheet should be able to take care of the rest but then again i could be oversimplifying things (first time I would be accused of that )

Frank

Edited by - Fly2High on 09/23/2010 2:05:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  11:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Doug is going to come up with some kind of top club award which will be a local award, not an ESL award.

If it gets people flying, it's all good.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000