Open discussion
 CASA Memorial Day F5J
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bertmagin

9 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  7:57:30 PM  Show Profile
CASA would like to invite you to our low key, simple, electric sailplane contest following our two day, electric fly-in the Spring Sizzle.

Monday, May 26th, $5 Registration, 9:30am Pilots meeting, 10:00am first round. Minimum of three rounds to be flown.

Near 600 East Gude Drive, Rockville, MD

Flyer -- Rules -- Map

Bert

Edited by - bertmagin on 03/20/2008 8:46:58 PM

bertmagin

9 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  8:10:45 PM  Show Profile
Links for flyer and rules don't work because a ";" cahracter is stripped out.

Flyer - http://www.soarcasa.org/CASA/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=get81
Rules - http://www.soarcasa.org/CASA/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=get80

Sorry for any confusion.

Bert
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  9:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Looks interesting but I don't fully understand the task based on the rules link.

It looks like this is some kind of climb and glide contest but it does not say what a typical climb is or what the typical glide task will be.

Is this a TD type contest or is this come kind of speed or distance task?

Do all the various classes fly against each other?

What are the factors that are listed for each motor type.

Is this divided by wing span or RES vs Full house or anything like that?

Sorry for the dumb questions but....I am dumb.

Ed Anderson

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

bertmagin

9 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  10:37:59 PM  Show Profile
It looks like this is some kind of climb and glide contest but it does not say what a typical climb is or what the typical glide task will be.

There is not a typical sailplane flown therefore there is not a typical climb. If I recall correctly most motor run times at past events "factored" to about 10 seconds or less. The CD determines the "glide" task, and these are usually 6 - 10 minutes.

Is this a TD type contest or is this come kind of speed or distance task?

TD

Do all the various classes fly against each other?

Yes. The purpose of handicapping the motor types is an attempt to equalize the contestants.

What are the factors that are listed for each motor type.

Speed 400 = 0.30, Ferrite = 0.45, Cobalt(Rare Earth) = 0.75, and Brushless = 0.95

Is what divided by wingspan? What is the "this" that you refering too? Wingspan is not factored into the scoring equation (provided that the wingspan is not so great as too make the model exceed the weight maximum). The run time of the motor is multiplied by the motor factor and subtracted from the duration. The less you run the motor the closer (better) you can get to a perfect duration flight.

Bert
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:00:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bert

Is what divided by wingspan? What is the "this" that you refering too? Wingspan is not factored into the scoring equation (provided that the wingspan is not so great as too make the model exceed the weight maximum). The run time of the motor is multiplied by the motor factor and subtracted from the duration. The less you run the motor the closer (better) you can get to a perfect duration flight.

Bert

OK, let me see if I understand.

Planes all fly against each other. 3M fly against 1.5 meter. Doesn't matter whether they are res or full house. The size and power of the the motor don't matter.

You have a total taak time. Your run time is subtracted from your total time. So if the task is 10 minutes and you run your motor for 20 seconds, one of the factors listed in the rules is applied to that climb time and that is deducted from your total time.

So this is a contest that favors high powered gliders with fast powerful climbs. Then they glide and thermal, then they land according to the set landing task for the landing score.

How did I do?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

bertmagin

9 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  06:20:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
So this is a contest that favors high powered gliders with fast powerful climbs. Then they glide and thermal, then they land according to the set landing task for the landing score.

How did I do?

You did what any typical dedicated TD Contest flyer would do; analyzed the rules to find out how to win. EVERY contest (with rules) favors someone, some stagtegy, or some equipment. These rules have worked pretty well for a low key, fly what you bring, local club contest. Like I said typical adjusted run times are ~10 seconds. Bring your brushless rocket ship... it will get to 400'+ in what? adjusted 3 seconds... that is a 7 point advantage... woopdee do.

Bert

Edited by - bertmagin on 03/21/2008 07:13:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  08:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Bert,

Sorry if my questions offend.

In my opinion, anyone who enters a contest, whether it is to win or to just have fun, without understanding the rules is a fool and perhaps a danger to the other pilots. In addition, how would you know what kind of planes to bring if you did not understand the task?

Never mind. I wanted to promote it in my club newsletter but I can't if I don't understand what you are doing.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums

Edited by - aeajr on 03/21/2008 08:52:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

ken troxell

2 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  4:56:59 PM  Show Profile
ed....the past contests have been won with sp400...geared car motors...geared inrunners. a welding machine is definitely not a sure winner.
it still comes down to pilot and the ability to read air.
you might want to check RCGROUPS electric sailpanes. there is a postal contest every month using this format..ken troxell
Go to Top of Page

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  4:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Ed,

You can do a search on F5J rules in Google. I thought it was an AMA and FAI event, but it doesn't appear to be. I'll look for a good link,

Anker

Edited by - Anker on 03/21/2008 5:04:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  5:01:40 PM  Show Profile

OK, thanks guys. But, I thought F5J was not an offical class. How could it be in the rule books?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums

Edited by - aeajr on 03/21/2008 5:03:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

ken troxell

2 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  5:33:10 PM  Show Profile
ed,anker....it is not an AMA event,but LSF & AMA ran it last year as well as this year.
to date there is no FAI official F5J and it will probably not be for a long time since nobody can agree on a set of rules.
the brits have a 200w/kg(92w/lb) class that was very sucessful in 2007. gets you about as high in 30 sec as a good winch launch.
i think it is the way to go, but processing is a hassle..ken troxell
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000