Mantis Building and Flying
 Mantis with servos in the tail
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack Hyde

8 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  09:08:17 AM  Show Profile
There is a thread going elsewhere about Mantis and Aegeas with servos in the tail to eliminate the long push rod needed for servos in the pod. See:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179426
One person says he believes Phil flies his Mantises with the servos in the tail. I am sceptical. What is the story?

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  5:05:18 PM  Show Profile
I have indeed been flying a Mantis with tail mounted servos for two or three years now. Not because it is a good idea or an advantage in any way but rather because I was just trying something new. The main thing I liked about it was simply that the forward pod became smaller and construction was simpler without the servos in the nose. I made a smaller fuse for the tail mounted servo option and that fuse is actually the standard for the 2M Mantis.

The models I have made so far with tail servos have had rather thick tail airfoils. They had SD8020 root airfoils going to something thinner at the tip. That was because I imagined needing something like an HS81 servo for the tail. The 3M model still has the same HS81 servos in the tail. My 2M Mantis had FMA S90 servos in the tail. I never had any problem with the tail mounted servos or the tails for that matter. The models had the standard Mantis wire V tail brace and the tails had balsa spars and carbon/kevlar skins. The only time the tails ever broke was when they had a really good reason to and the rest of the plane looked far worse.

Looking at the Aegea tails which are much thinner, I can see that a Dymond D60 would only fit in the thickness of the tail if it were put at the max thickness point where the spar is. If it were put just aft of the spar then it would only stick out out a little. I just bought some micro servos from Tom Broeski that are really thin and perhaps would fit completely in the airfoil aft of the spar. I have no idea if any of these servos would be able to handle the flight loads for the rather large Aegea ruddervators. I don't know how to calculte that and could only try it to see if it would work.

For the upcoming season I am hoping to have an Aegea wing on a Luchenbach fuse with straight tails, servos in front with light carbon pushrods running in teflon tube guides.

There is no particular weight difference with tail servos. Micro servos are pretty light and so are small carbon pushrods. Don't forget that you need to run servo leads all the way to the tail for tail servos. One down side of tail servos is that it puts more weight at the extremeties of the plane.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

jon stone

12 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  8:11:07 PM  Show Profile
Phil Barnes wrote:
quote:
For the upcoming season I am hoping to have an Aegea wing on a Luchenbach fuse with straight tails, servos in front with light carbon pushrods running in teflon tube guides.

I'm slowwwwly building a set of Aegea like wings, basically following Mark's plans, and have one of Terry's fuses on the bench, too.

By straight tails, do you mean vertical & horizontal stabs? If so, I'm interested in hearing your ideas. One of my goals for the plane is transportable. That means no one-piece v-tail for me. I've got a few ideas, but am always interested in learning from others.

Jon

Go to Top of Page

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  11:12:15 PM  Show Profile
I am thinking of a tail configuration just like a DLG model with a horizontal tail that bolts on top of a pylon on the boom ahead of the vertical fin. Drela airfoils for the tails, of course.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

F3jeb

103 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  07:33:55 AM  Show Profile
Phil,

Would you try to adapt all of this to a standard Terry boom? Would you build your own V-mount (in this case U-mount)?

Jose
Go to Top of Page

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  11:18:30 AM  Show Profile
I will be using a Luchenbach fuselage. I will not be using a V-mount, just an airfoiled balsa pylon to mount the stab to maybe 3/4" tall.

Phil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000