ESL F3J contest
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kiesling

45 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  2:49:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I am working on setting the date and location for the ESL F3J contest. Tentatively I am looking at the weekend of April 22-23rd. With any luck it will be held at CASA's polo field in Poolesville MD. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the CASA guys if we have permission from the Polo field owner.

Sorry for the late notice, but the way the schedule has evolved for events across the country, the April time frame makes the most sense. Tentatively, Rich Burnoski and his Chicago crew have expressed interest in attending, as has Joe Wurts. So hopefully I will know shortly about the exact date and location.

Thanks!

Tom

Edited by - kiesling on 03/17/2006 11:47:30 PM

kiesling

45 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  12:00:05 AM  Show Profile
It is now official. The dates will be on April 22-23 at CASA's polo field. See the calendar for more information. (if the date still says it will be in May, ignore that, it needs to be updated)

Tom

Edited by - kiesling on 03/18/2006 12:00:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

kiesling

45 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  3:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

I just wanted to thank everyone again for helping make this contest happen.

Specifically:

Dale Hart for setting up the matrix and providing the scoring program.
Mike Lachowski for providing the timing system.
Phil Barnes for making the landing tapes and starters boxes and hauling out the ESL winches.
Jim Blanchfield for arranging the use of the polo field.
Bert Magin and Skip Schow for doing the scoring and providing various logistical support.

Thanks to Ben Roberto, Rich and Frankie Burnoski for making the trip from Chicago. It was great to have them there.

Thanks to everyone who helped me find my model Saturday after the "stealth cloud" incident - especially Jeff Steifel who actually found it.

A brief contest report for Saturday - it pretty much sucked. Lots of rain in the morning and evening and several hours in the afternoon of no rain and walking in the woods. . .

Sunday was much better, but still not great weather wise. We got one full round in and then it rained for an hour or so. After the rain stopped the sun actually came out and we managed to get 5 qualifying rounds and two fly off rounds. The winds were light and variable all day, with a bit of a downwind toward the afternoon. We had three pilots hand towing and the rest used winches. For the conditions we had, I thought the launches were very similar. I felt that the mixing of winches and hand tow was a very effective way of practicing an F3J contest. The only thing I noticed was for the downwind conditions, the winch launches had the option of staying on the line a bit longer and maintain line speed. For hand tow the mechanics favor getting off the line earlier and it doesn't make your tow people happy if you needlessly run them too far.

So while the weather was rough and the event was a big effort, I had a good time and it was a very good practice for me, Phil, and Frankie. It was the first time I had flown since last season and it was good to see where I was at. Phil and Frankie got to work together as tow men and got some things worked out. Phil had a great contest. So from the East Coast end I think we are in good shape for the Denver contest.

Here are the results for the qualifying rounds.

1 PHIL Barnes 5000
2 TOM Kiesling 5000
3 RICH Burnoski 4992.775
4 BEN Roberto 4945.731
5 MIKE Lachowski 4887.545
6 DON Barker 4745.874
7 JOSH Glaab 4680.251
8 JEFF Stiefel 4619.248
9 TONY Guide 4398.58
10 DALE Hart 4160.198
11 PETE Schlitzkus 3933.639
12 KERRY COCHRELL 3740.679
13 REGIS WHITE 2592.788

Here are the results from the flyoffs:

TOM K. 1998.994
PHIL B. 1974.719
MIKE L. 1773.907
RICH B. 1585.193
BEN R. 977.867

Thanks again to everyone who helped make this happen!

Tom Kiesling

Tom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000