Open discussion
 Picolario
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2004 :  9:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Santa brought me a Picolario this X-mas. It tool a while to get it to work with the Stylus (I didn't realize that there was just one switch left that I wasn't using).

It acts as a vario, but also gives you altitude readings relative to the point where it was turned on. In addition, it keeps you advised of the battery voltage, telling you of each 0.1V drop in voltage. Finally, it tells you of the receiver glitches.

I plan to use it to work on my launch technique, and also working on my thermaling skills. It will also be fun to really know how high I am before I chicken out.

Anker

radian

8 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  6:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Anker,

You will enjoy it very much. I've used mine now for about 4 months in my Mantis and really love it. I find I use it not to "find" thermals (I can do that on my own) but to better find the center of them and to know how strong they are. Also, as you have said, it can be used to improve your launch heights. I've managed to get as high as 575' off a highstart with the right wind and the right flap management. This after many tests on the same day.

Another benefit I have found is that it helps to decide when to leave a thermal that is dying out. Sometimes we will continue to circle in the thermal that is not really working anymore just because it did before. Now, the Picolario provides a more "objective" report of whether you are going up or not.

It helps too when your are directly overhead. From this point of view it is very hard to "see" a thermal. The Picolario will make it obvious.

Let's see what else... Oh, It's nice to know what you consider a "safe" spec out height too. For me that is 1243'

Keep in mind that it might take sometime to get used to and to fully utilize what it reports. Without a "tek" probe you will need to learn when to believe what it is reporting and when your control actions are "tricking" it. After a little while this will become second nature.

Enjoy it and let us know how you fair with it.

Radian
www.phflyers.com

Sincerely,

Radian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000