Open discussion
 First Scale Sailplane - Ventus 2C 3.6M
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2004 :  5:32:44 PM  Show Profile
I realize this is not the type of plane typically flown in ESL events, but I thought perhaps one of you might have this plane and could provide some advice.

I was just given a PG Gerasis Ventus 2C 3.6M scale sailplane that is in need some some repairs. The fuselage is broken in a bunch of places and it has been fixed a number of times before. [&o] But the price was right, so for some work on my part I will have my first scale plane.

I will post some photos of the damage later.

This is the plane:
http://www.gerasis.cz/ekatalog/5120.php

If you have one of these, I could use your help:

I don't have a manual, so I will need some advice on surface throws, CG and anything else you can provide.

Also need to find a wing rod for it. Again, any help would be great.

I plan to set it up for Aerotow and for Winch launching.

Anyone care to share your experiences, good or bad, with this plane? Any weak areas I should know about?

There is no landing gear. It has flaps and Ailerons. There were airbrakes but they have been removed and the opening covered over. Should I consider reinstalling them?

Thanks for any help or insights you can provide.

Ed Anderson
LISF - Syosset NY

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
www.lisf.org
www.RCezine.com

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  6:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ed,

This is going to be quite a project, and potentially quite a handful. Even though I am not an expert in scale gliders, I'll start the responses with the following observations:

A) I do not recommend winch launching a scale glider. They are very hard to throw, and respond violently to mistakes because of the high apect ratio wings. I have witnessed Terry Luckenbach's winch launches of his scla e gliders, and its not for the faint of heart.
B) Depenmdent on the size of the flaps, you may want spoilers. With a scale ship you have much less ability to make a sharp turn to revover from a too hot landing. If the flaps are decent sized you can probably generate enough drag to slow it down and make safe landings.

Good luck and see you next season/Anker
Go to Top of Page

fprintf

9 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  3:56:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow Ed, that is quite some plane. At least you now have a plane to fly at the next Pine Island Scale Aerotow! From what I read on RCgroups and RCSE that was the place to be last summer, and I can tell ya from flying at Pine Island that there is no other place quite like it. The blackest dirt you have ever seen, and miles and miles of sod farms & onion fields!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000