Mantis Building and Flying
 warped Mantis flap
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack Hyde

8 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  2:51:28 PM  Show Profile
The flap on the wing of my MH32 Mantis wing has become warped. The left end is twisted about 1/4" down relative to the right end. How do you reccomend I untwist it?
Jack Hyde
Red Bluff,CA

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  11:27:04 PM  Show Profile
I very rarely attempt to unwarp things so I may not have a very good answer.

You need to apply heat and then twist the surface back the other way beyond where you want it to ultimately be and hold it there until it cools. You just need to come up with a heating method that doesn't melt foam or mess up the paint. Perhaps a towel and boiling water to apply heat to the flap. I'm not sure a heat gun could get the entire flap heated up at the same time and would also present a melting hazard if you were not careful.

I don't have any better ideas. Sorry to hear that your flap warped. I haven't heard of that before. Maybe someone else has more exact advice on how to remove a warp.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

Jack Hyde

8 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  08:29:11 AM  Show Profile
The center panel of my Mantis wing is pretty dinged anyway. The tips are perfect. Can I get a new center panel from you for a Mantis / MH32 ? How long will it take? I can fly my Aegea in the mean time, but I still like the Mantis.
Go to Top of Page

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  10:09:06 AM  Show Profile
Spare parts are always available. Wait time right now would not be very long. I'll drop you a personal email with particulars
Go to Top of Page

Phil Barnes

100 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  2:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Check out this link for some good ideas on warp removal;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267440
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page