2004 DBSF Contest Report
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  9:26:25 PM  Show Profile
By Dave Walter

07/13/04 - Dale Hart must have paid his sun bill this year. The sun was present in abundance at the Daniel Boone Homestead from the day we arrived, Friday July 9, through the final flight on Sunday.

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  9:28:34 PM  Show Profile
By Dave Walter

07/13/04 - Dale Hart must have paid his sun bill this year. The sun was present in abundance at the Daniel Boone Homestead from the day we arrived, Friday July 9, through the final flight on Sunday.

Image Insert:

96.29 KB

I always check my flight box for ballast before departing for Reading, PA, an overreaction to a weekend several years ago in which small children were blown from their mothers'grasp and helpless sailplanes were sucked into the clutches of Mrs. Custer, far downwind of the landing zone. But this year there was barely a hint of a breeze, and the initial flights on Saturday morning suggested that for the first time in contest history, every contestant might, just might, max every round. A Mega-max!

Image Insert:

77.83 KB

Thirty-five contestants flew on Saturday (23 Expert, 12 Sportsman) for 7 rounds. There were five landing tapes laid out across the west side of the field, worth 50 points if you hit the center. Five circles, no waiting. The first round was set to 7 minutes, but CD Dale quickly upped the task to 10 minutes for the remainder of the day after nearly everyone maxed the first flight. Could a Mega-max be possible? Ha, silly me. While some pilots did indeed make the most of every flight, there were a few epic down cycles during the course of the day that wiped out entire flight groups.

At the conclusion of flying Saturday, Tom Kiesling, Tony Guide, and Mike Lachowski were 1-2-3 in Expert. Bruce Schneider won the Sportsman class ("Move him up, move him up!") followed closely by Kerry Cochrell in second and Luis Bustamante in third.

Image Insert:

78.9 KB

After the award ceremony, Tom, Mike, and Jeff Steifel broke out the F3B equipment and made a serious attempt at beheading the workers while practicing their speed runs (I hid behind a handy retriever table). Meanwhile, Phil Barnes performed some on-field surgery to the ESL winches in dire need of new brushes. Thanks, Phil!

Saturday (4370 Max)
                    -------------------
        Expert                             Sportsman

Tom Kiesling . . . . 4274           Bruce Schneider . . . . 4158
Tony Guide . . . . . 4220           Kerry Cochrell  . . . . 4118
Mike Lachowski . . . 4205           Luis Bustamante . . . . 3912

Sunday was nearly a carbon-copy of Saturday, with warm sun and light shifting wind. Dale called for one 5 minute task and 8 minutes for the others. The 5 minute task could be declared by the pilot in any one of the first 4 rounds, a format that can present the pilot with a tough decision at the 4 minute mark of a marginal flight. Lift was a bit harder to come by compared to Saturday, and late in the day another monster sink cycle descended on the field like a cold blanket, dashing the hopes of many contending pilots in the final round. There is a great deal of skill required in flying, but sometimes winning a contest involves a bit of luck too (as the old saying goes, "Don't believe in luck... depend on it.")

Image Insert:

42.18 KB

After 6 rounds, Tom Kiesling once again prevailed, with Dave Walter and Paul Bell taking second and third in Expert class. Bill Vida was best of the Sportsmen, followed by Chuck Robinett and John Bitzer.

Tom's win both days was most assuredly not the result of luck, especially when you consider that his ship had no landing skeg or shark's teeth to aid in stopping on the spot. And I have to point out Paul Bell's brave performance Sunday, flying to third place while teetering on a knee that just underwent surgery a few weeks ago. Dave Walter, on the other hand, was just lucky (I know, I was there).

Many thanks to Dale and the rest of the folks who staged a very enjoyable competition. See you again in the Fall!

Sunday (3000 Max)
                    -----------------
        Expert                             Sportsman

Tom Kiesling . . . . 2854           Bill Vida . . . . . . . 2718
Dave Walter  . . . . 2835           Chuck Robinett  . . . . 2699
Paul Bell  . . . . . 2798           John Bitzer . . . . . . 2615

-- Dave Walter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: