Contest Reports
 So you think you can't put on a MOM contest
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stew swanson

16 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  8:53:47 PM  Show Profile
There is no excuse! Any club can run a MOM contest. It was amply demonstrated at Reading on 7/11-7/12.
All you need is a Golf Cart (you can rent them), Steve Lucke and Luis
Bustamante. It helps if you have cooperative flyers who are willing to "pitch in" and do a little but a large staff is not needed. Ask anone who was there, it works and is fun.
Stew

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  01:39:45 AM  Show Profile
I would have to agree Stewart.

Whether you use retrivers or bring the lines back with a car or a car or something else, the man on man format is definately growing in popularity. It is the format I like best.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
Long Island Silent Flyers
Go to Top of Page

ljb0001

37 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  10:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Stew!

You are right. The golf cart makes life a heck of a lot easier for those organizing and running the contest.

I rented the golf cart, had it delivered to the field on Saturday morning and taken away on Sunday afternoon. This is certainly much easier than coordinating for and transporting 4 retrievers, 4 batteries and 4 battery chargers. Not to mention not having to deal with broken retriever lines, retriever caused pop-offs and the inevitable birds nest when an inexperienced retriever operator meets a cranky retriever.

In addition, lining up one person to retrieve the lines proved much easier than getting four retriever operators on top of the 4 timers needed for each flight group. It seems folks enjoy riding a nice, comfortable cart for a few minutes, grabbing a little rest in the shade and enjoying some quiet time at the turnarounds! I only had one opportunity to retrieve the lines myself. Someone else always beat me to it!

You guys were awesome this last weekend. My calls for timers were always promptly answer and there was never a shortage of volunteers for any job that needed doing.

Steve and I truly appreciated all your help. It made running the contest a very efficient and pleasurable experience. Let's do it again for the Mid-Season!

Luis

Go to Top of Page

cluft

14 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  10:57:28 PM  Show Profile
The MOM contest at Boone ran like a well oiled machine. I still can't believe after all the years of going to contests, how well a contest could run, with only four people(at any given time), one at the winches, one on the cart and two at scoring. The golf cart IS the BEST at retrieving. smooth ride, easy on easy off, push the peddle and steer.

With the volunteers we had, we rolled through each round with almost no interruption. The only trouble we had was the PA system.

Carl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000