Contest Reports
 Polecat Challenger - June 2007
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  1:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Dan Asked me to post this report for him.

To everyone...

Frank, Pete and I had a fantastic weekend at the Polecat Challenge in Carlisle, PA. The weather was perfect for three days in a row. We threw our brains out and a great time was had by all. None of us were winners in the official sense of the word, but in the unoffical sense, we all won. Plus, the pig roast on Saturday night was powerful good.

As in just about all things having to do with this hobby helping each other learn and succeed is something we often witness. But this weekend there were two incidents that strongly displayed the generosity of knowledge and effort and just plain giving that we see so very often.

After two days of intense flying I arrived at the field early Sunday morning for the last day of the contest. Unfortunately while practicing I was flying the far treeline and lost orientation. The plane dropped to the hard farm field below, breaking the fuse in three places, breaking a push rod, and stripping an aileron servo. I was sure that I was out for the day, being that I only had one plane.

Unbelievably, the masters all around me converged on my plane and it was like a tag team effort. One guy, Dick Proseus, used carbon fiber with 3m 77 and CA to fix the fuse. He and I replaced the push rod with help of someone else's shrink wrap and soldering iron. Then Jeff Winder provided me with a new servo which Mike Seid installed and Denny soldered into place. The plane was back in order BEFORE my first scheduled round. It was an amazing effort and the plane seems as good as new.

The other act of generosity that impressed me tremendously was during the famous raffle at the end of the day on Sunday. There were 5 or 6 planes and a JR 9303 radio that were the big items. Anyone whose ticket was pulled could pick whatever they wanted from the table. When the planes were gone and the only remaining big item was the 4-500 dollar radio everyone wanted their number picked. Amazingly the next ticket was pulled and while the guy approached the table all the hecklers were telling him to take a hat or a t-shirt. This guy actually passed up on the radio and chose a 40 dollar receiver instead. He just said, "I have a radio and one of you guys could probably use this one."

Now that is a very thoughtful and generous spirit. I wish I knew his name, as I would be happy to give him a nod of respect.

Anyway, it was a great experience...I reccomend it to all. And when my shoulder recovers I'll be happy to be throwing my XP again:)

Dan Siegel

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000