Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  12:59:36 PM  Show Profile
FIRST TIME SERVO SET-UP
by Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums

If I am setting up the plane for the first time, I make sure all the settings in the radio are at zero or 100, whichever is the radio default so that the radio is not providing any adjustments. Trims are centered. If there is a reset adjustment to get everything back to zero, that is where you want it all to be.

All sticks, switches, dials should be in their zero or centered position. throttle all the way to zero.

If you are working with an existing plane and want to "start from scratch" start a new set up on a new memory location so you don't screw up the set-up you have now. Then you know the settings are all at default.

Mount the servos solidly in place. Make sure that control arms can swing with no interference. Get the control rods to approximately the length they need to be to reach the servo control horn when the servo is centered and the surface is at a neutral position.

Now, take the control horns off the servos.

Turn the radio on. (always turn the radio on first)

Apply power to the plane - the servos should all jump to center.

Now put the control horns back on the servo in such a way that when the
surfaces are centered, the control horns are centered along the path they are going to travel as you use them. This may take some trial and error. I usually tape or clip the rudder and elevator at neutral position during this process..

The control arm should be at approximately 90 degrees to the direction of travel when the control rod is attached.

Photos:

See the photo of my Sagitta 600, "servo set-up spoilers down" - red fuselage with yellow wings. The two servos that are side by side are at zero/neutral rudder and elevator position. The small servo to the left is in the extreme end of its travel which is spoilers down for that servo. Ignore that one.

Forward Electronics area - that is my Spirit. Again those servos are
at neutral position. Elevator and rudder are aligned with their surfaces.
Trims are at zero and servos are centered.

Tail control horn detail photo.

Now, you will probably have to adjust the length of the control rods so that
you can put the servo arms back on the servos in this position. See the metal/nylon
ends on my control rods? they screw on and off the rod to allow me to adjust
the length of the rod. I may have another like it at the surface end.

If you have Z bends on both ends, you will have to make new bends, or make a V bend somewhere in the control rod. This is a common practice or small planes. This can then be narrowed or widened. However be aware that a shot to the surface might stretch or compress this V, so check you alignments before every flight.

You must do this with the radio on and the plane on or you can't be sure what
position the servo is sitting in. So, if your rudder is centered the control
arm should just drop right onto the servo and look something like mine, plus or minus a little. Same for all the rest of your servos.

Any adjustments you do from the radio once you have this set should be minor
and only need to be done to make minor corrections in the way the plane flies.

If you are using Z bends and having trouble getting the control rod length right, you might consider adding Dubro EZ connectors. I use them a lot!
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAHE6&P=ML

What you need to know about receivers:
http://www.rchangout.com/forums/radio-electronics-motors-and-accessories/t-what-you-need-to-know-about-receivers-12151.html

Hope that helped.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Long Island Silent Flyers
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000