Open discussion
 Topics for 2006 End Of Season meeting
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave Walter

18 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  11:30:22 PM  Show Profile
The yearly ESL club meeting traditionally is held on the weekend of the End Of Season contest in Reading, PA. If the weather is nice, we will conduct the meeting at the field after the contest concludes on Saturday. Lousy weather may force us to find an indoor location.

I've listed below a suggested set of topics for this year's meeting. If anyone has a hot issue to be discussed, please add it to this thread.

Regards,
Dave

====================================================================

Topics for ESL End of Season Meeting

1. Review 2005 minutes

2. Treasurer's report

3. 2007 Contest Schedule

4. Evaluate the 2005 Initiative
- Public Relations
- Clinics
- Mentoring
- Raffles
- Novice Class
- Man-on-man format

5. Review ESL classes and advancement criteria for Expert/Sportsman/Novice

6. Maintenance and transportation of ESL equipment

7. Future of the DBSF and ESL contests at Daniel Boone

8. 2007 Officer election

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  3:54:47 PM  Show Profile
I guess it goes with out saying, if there are any issues you want discuss in Hand Launch, don't hesitate to make mention of it here, you can also bring it up a the East Coast HLG Festival - ESL HLG EOS. I am not sure how formal the EOS portion of the contest is, but don't hesitate to voice your opinion, any of the CD should be able to assist you.

Jose
Go to Top of Page

Dave Walter

18 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  2:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Posted on behalf of Frank Nisita:

Dave,

I will not be able to attend the ESL end of seaon meeting but was wondering if you could inquire for me about the following:

I was thinking that since SJSF had canceled their unlimited contest, LISF HLG contest took their spot this year. With all the contests in Europe for F3B/J and the German Intl. contest in August and in case SJSF wants their slot back, I was wondering if LISF should get a different day for the LISF HLG contest.

I am open to suggestions as to when to hold it. Whatever ESL and LISF agree on is fine by me. I do not want to conflict with any other club's contest and am not familiar with the schedule of the national contests (Poway and Polecat and N.C.) to adequately select a date. Any help in this matter would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Frank Nisita
Go to Top of Page

Dave Walter

18 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  8:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Another topic: Reimbersement of ESL web site coordinator for costs incurred maintaining the ESL web site and securing a domain name.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

mikel

106 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  2:21:01 PM  Show Profile
ESL Battery Chargers

I have some chargers that are very small and compact. They are 4 stage electronic chargers. They were tried at the CASA contest and didn't have the usual automatic battery charger issues with shutting down to trickle and staying there. They are only 18 oz each and pretty small. http://www.acichargers.com/Literature.pdf The 1214CC would be the best one. The smaller chargers don't charge fast enough to keep up on launches.
Go to Top of Page

gldrgidr

22 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  07:36:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Walter

Another topic: Reimbersement of ESL web site coordinator for costs incurred maintaining the ESL web site and securing a domain name.

Dave

I have to agree. I was surprised to find that one individual was footing the bills for the esl website. It's enough that he is contributing his time and talents. ESL should step up.

John
Go to Top of Page

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  7:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Novice class seems to be working so well that it makes sense to institutionalize the class.

I am personally concerned about how to score novices. The simplest is to create novice as a third class and upgrade the scoring software to support it. A completely different approach is not to score them at all, just let them enjoy flying and take the competition (at the ESL level) completely out of the equation. It seems to me that the latter approach is in the spirit of ther novice concept.

We do, however, need to decide at what point someone becomes a sportsman. I have heard a number of contest days mentioned. Any suggestions?

Anker
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  8:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Anker,

Over the summer I got to meet a few novice pilots, what I heard the most is that it was their first contest, they did not seam very concerned about placement at first, once it was all over and saw the score sheet they took more notice.

There might have been other novice pilots who really where at a higher level, but they just entered as novice because it was their first contest, I know of at least one or two who change class by the second contest day.

From what I see, the novice class allows people to get an idea where they may fall when it comes to class with out the stress of having to worry to ‘perform’ – also, you might find some people who only fly at their club contest, but not any other ESL sanctioned event, so they might not want to deal with the class thing, since they are not really competing for points.

I think the idea for the novice class is to get pilots who other wise might not fly in this contests, and one of the attractive things, is the fact they are not part of the ‘race’ but they always have the option to join the grind if they like to, I think structuring the novice class into a clear path into Sportsman, might turn some novice off.

We could leave it “as is” and see what evolves, I think still too early to tell; we should definitely keep the class, but with very loose requirements.

If we were to outline what a ‘novice’ might get out of attending a contest, I would probably describe it as follow:

• Participate in the social aspect of the event

• Participate in competition

• Understand the contest format and dynamics

• Equipment setup and needs assessment

• Participate in formal/informal clinics and mentoring program

• Self assessment on attendance merits

• and what ever else

Jose
Go to Top of Page

jsteifel

40 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:59:13 AM  Show Profile
The issue of shirts has come up.
We should discuss getting shirts for next year.

Jeff Steifel
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  11:11:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jsteifel

The issue of shirts has come up.
We should discuss getting shirts for next year.

Jeff Steifel

I will be bringing some sample shirts and hats to the meeting for the group's consideration. Thes are similar to the ones I have been having made for the Long Island Silent Flyers.

If approved, I will arrange to have the logo digitized into an embrodary design to be sewn into the shirts.

The ESL will not have to bulk order or ship anything. I will arrange it all.

For your consideration.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Long Island Silent Flyers

Edited by - aeajr on 10/03/2006 11:12:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fly2High

70 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  4:18:19 PM  Show Profile
does anyone have a summary of the EOS meeting???
Frank
Go to Top of Page

Dave Walter

18 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  8:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Paul Bell took copious notes during the meeting. We covered a lot of stuff, so let's give him a few days to get it together and post to this forum.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000