Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  08:56:33 AM  Show Profile
Guys,

I need your advice.

There have been discussions around getting more participation in the ESL events. We have talked about clinics and Novice Class. I think there is now a Novice Class capability for registration on the ESL web site, but I don't think there is a common format yet.

I want to propose adding a Novice Class to the September ESL/LISF event. One is not planned at this time. I am not the CD, so I need to make a proposal to the CD.

I am trying to leverage Dale Hart's experience as well as getting input from others, so I am asking for your input. If this looks good it could be adopted as a suggested outline for all ESL events.

I would appreciate your input, positive or negative.

There has been some discussion of the return of the 2M class. I did contemplate making this a "less than 3 meter" class, or "3M and under" as most of the open class competition planes I see at the ESL are over 3 meters. This keeps the competition class planes out of the novice ranks.

This is not quite bringing back the 2M class, but I think this makes this more inviting to the woodies, the foamies and the 100 inch planes. For example my 2.9M Legend would qualify, and a Spirit or GL would be right at home. Your thoughts on this?

POSSIBLE NOVICE CLASS FOR THE LISF/ESL EVENTS

* Novice class is essentially run like a club contest with standard easy tasks of 5 minutes and a large landing circle

* Experienced flyers who don't wish to fly the more competitive classes can fly Novice class

* Novice pilots who are new flyers can be assigned "mentors" for the day. Mentors can coach, time and otherwise assist - This can be someone who comes with the Novice or a volunteer from the contest flyers, or local club. The idea is that the Novice is not all alone.

* Any size or class plane, or 3M and under, or under 3M

* Open Winch - provide one or two open club winches with retriever - Does not interfere with ESL winches or launching of Expert or Sportsman rounds and no MOM handicapping, so scoring is simple.

* Novices launch between Expert and Sportsman launches. Timer runs the retriever if they know how. Someone else can launch for the Novice if they are not winch ready.

* CD or launch line supervisor still calls the "clear to launch" on the novice winches to insure no conflict with launch rounds.

* If the club winch is needed for the expert or sportsman classes, it is easy enough to take it back on a moment's notice for a sportsman or expert launch. - remove the retriever line, launch, reconnect - back to novice use

* Easier tasks - 5 minutes and large landing circle; in or out - Novice circle can be well away from Expert/Sportsman tapes

* Reduced fee - $5-$7

* First, Second and Third place each day. Printed certificate with frame.

No carry forward of scores though ESL. Novice is a one day class. Novice can move to sportsman the next day if they wish.

What do you think guys?

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Long Island Silent Flyers

Edited by - aeajr on 07/19/2006 08:57:08 AM

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  1:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Wanted to share some interset in the Novice Class that I received based on a notice I posted about the September LISF/ESL event. Post 8 is from some people who flew Novice there.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542330#post5774197

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

F3jeb

103 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  1:50:30 PM  Show Profile
Ed thank you for making all the post and taking the initiative. The ESL proposed and passed a Novice class last year, there have been some registration in novice class in many of contests... I think it works from what I have seen.

************* from 2005 EOS meting ****************

7. Dale Hart proposed the creation of a Novice class, which was accepted after extensive discussion. The class will be designed to attract new, or beginning flyers and would include the following ground rules:
a. Awards will be limited to inexpensive framed certificates (no expensive awards)
b. Scores will not be mixed with Expert/Sportsman, but will be maintained by the ESL Scorekeeper.
c. No fee will be paid to ESL for Novice participants.
d. A Novice will advance to the Sportflyer Class after 12 contest days, or upon the request of the Novice flyer.
e. Tasks will be developed by the sponsoring club Contest Director and will be aimed at shorter flight duration times (for example five minutes) and easier landings (for example, in/out)
f. Launch assistance will be allowed, including control of the transmitter during launch by other than the Novice pilot.
g. There will be no limitations on aircraft type than can be flown.
h. The proposal for the Novice class was accepted.

http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=183
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  2:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jose,

This is terriffic information. I did not realize there was an offical definition of Novice Class. I will bring this to the club meeting tomorrow.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  10:28:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jose

Ed thank you for making all the post and taking the initiative. The ESL proposed and passed a Novice class last year, there have been some registration in novice class in many of contests... I think it works from what I have seen.

NOVICE CLASS for LISF/ESL event September

The Contest Director, Frank Strommer, has agreed to open a Novice Class.

He will run them exactly the same as Sportsman but their
task will be 1/2 the Sportsman's task. So if Sportsman is flying 8 minutes, Novice will fly 4 minutes.

Same landing tapes.

Scoring will be man on man.

All planes are winch launched but Novice pilots do not have to launch their
own planes. They can have someone else run the winch, or they can even hand
off the radio to someone else for the launch. They then fly the round and
land they plane themselves.

If you know anyone who is interested, they can get all the info here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542330&pp=15

This should be great! Again, thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  11:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Ed,

The original intent was that the sportsman class would serve exactly the purpose that your proposed novice class will do. And the original rules for advancement points ensured that when you had taken a certain amount of wood, no mattere over how long a time period, you would be advanced to expert. Several years back the advancement rules were changed, and an unfortunate (in my opinion) side effect has become that it is possible to "manage" advancement points so you can keep taking wood in sportsman, but never advance.

If we create a novice class, officially, the experiences of the novices will be that they have fun there, then they move to sportsman class and after that they will be cannon fodder for the ringers, get discouraged and find something more fun to do.

My two cents is that we should fix the sportsman issue, make it a class of novices, and when you have learned to fly reasonably well you become an expert.

Back to basics!

Anker
Go to Top of Page

F3jeb

103 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  12:36:22 PM  Show Profile
My understanding is that the Novice class became official last fall at the EOS meting, see minutes; from watching some of the discussions in other forums and a couple of the contest I have attended, there have been people who feel comfortable registering for the Novice class but not necessarily in Sportsman. I don't think the idea is to make them into anything, but let those who want to join just for fun, join. And if they want to move to sportsman and start getting more serious about it, then they can. I don't think many people in the ESL would agree to change the Sportsman class and reflect the benefits the novice class offers to very beginner. The novice will decide on their own if they want to come back to more contests, or even to move up to sportsman and become part of the grind... I think the Novice class is showing some promises out there, we have seen it in the HL group, and in DBSF (I guess)…

I think TD CDs should get behind this, since it was discussed at the EOS last year and it was accepted by the majority, and if implemented as it was proposed by Dale, it should have very little impact on the contest, as for scores the CD wouldn’t even have to submit them for the novice, since they are not competing for points (just for fun)

And as of now, the site will let anyone register as a Novice, I implemented the option since it was “passed” at the EOS meting.

************* from 2005 EOS meting ****************

7. Dale Hart proposed the creation of a Novice class, which was accepted after extensive discussion. The class will be designed to attract new, or beginning flyers and would include the following ground rules:
a. Awards will be limited to inexpensive framed certificates (no expensive awards)
b. Scores will not be mixed with Expert/Sportsman, but will be maintained by the ESL Scorekeeper.
c. No fee will be paid to ESL for Novice participants.
d. A Novice will advance to the Sportflyer Class after 12 contest days, or upon the request of the Novice flyer.
e. Tasks will be developed by the sponsoring club Contest Director and will be aimed at shorter flight duration times (for example five minutes) and easier landings (for example, in/out)
f. Launch assistance will be allowed, including control of the transmitter during launch by other than the Novice pilot.
g. There will be no limitations on aircraft type than can be flown.
h. The proposal for the Novice class was accepted.

http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=183
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  12:41:23 PM  Show Profile
I have received several inquiries about whether we would have a novice class from people who did not want to fly sportsman. Either they are inexperienced or just felt that even sports man was too competitive.

I am just working within what ESL has proposed. The details of how Novice will be run at each event have been left up to the CD. I am not the CD, but have encouraged him to be supportive of the Novice class concept. I have offered my active assitance to help him with hte Novice class, or anything else he needs.

Novice was not planned to be part of the LISF 2 event. Now it is.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  8:22:30 PM  Show Profile
I thought I would provide an update to this thread. This went out to the Long Island Silent Flyers as part of the Weekend Flying Report, which I publish every week.

LISF NOVICE CLASS PILOTS STEPPING UP

At the last Eastern Soaring League contest that was hosted at our field, we offered the opportunity for new glider pilots to try ESL contest flying by creating the Novice program. This is an ESL program designed to give glider pilots, of all skill levels, a chance to give the ESL format a try without being matched against experienced contest pilots.

We had five LISF members who gave Novice a try. From the reports and the smiles, I believe they all had a great time and it seems many are looking forward to the next contest in June. You don't need a fancy plane, or an expensive transmitter to fly in the ESL contests. This is about fun and learning new skills as a pilot. Winning is nice but it is not the key focus of the events.

I am pleased to report that many of the pilots who flew Novice in the ESL September event enjoyed it so much that they are stepping up to 3+ meter full house contest gliders and are preparing for the June ESL event with a lot of excitement. I expect we will see these guys in sportsman class this year, showing off their new wings. However they can still fly Novice if they want.

Joe Albrect is preparing a 3M Prism
Mike Lavelle is awaiting delivery of a 3.1 M Polecat Thermal Dancer
Steve Mestre just ordered a 3.3 M Pike Superior
Rudi O has a 2M and 3M full house plane in preparation

Dan didn't fly Novice this past contest, he flew sportsman in a previous ESL event with his Easy Gilder. Dan Siegel has a new 3M Addiction.

Let's give them our good wishes and support. If you see one of them with their new planes, congratulate them on this big step. And offer them your advice on the best way to prepre for contest flying. I am sure they will appreciate it. John Hauff, they are coming after you!

If you are a new glider pilot, or are thinking about trying gliders, and would like to understand what all the excitement is about, drop me a note, see me at the field, or talk to one of these guys. This is about fun, fun, fun! If you would like to know more about the program, visit this link.
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

lincoln

49 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  7:17:31 PM  Show Profile
I think one thing that would help bring people to contests would be for one or two of the really dominant pilots to start using very ordinary gliders and still win. I haven't competed seriously in quite some time, so maybe this isn't still possible, but it used to be. I think it's very easy to start thinking it's all about the equipment. I recall watching Larry Jolly and Joe Wurtz duke it out in hlg at the nats, I think around '91. Joe was flying a recent glass, carbon and foam creation of his. Larry had an ancient, beat up Flinger. As I recall, it was very close.

The market isn't right for it now, but I think beginning pilots and competitors might be better off with about 100" span RES planes.

Lincoln Ross
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  11:05:51 PM  Show Profile
The top pilots will have top equipment, however you can compete in Sportsman with anyting and, at that level, a really talented pilot could place very well with a lesser plane.

A good flying RES plane in the hands of a talented pilot could be a winning combination.

Lincoln, time for you to step up and be that pilot!

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
ESL Content Editor
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Eastern Soaring Talk © 2008-12 Eastern Soaring League Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000