Open discussion
 Promoting ESL contest - would like more info
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  10:42:52 PM  Show Profile
The ESL web site needs to provide more info about the various events. I send out a "weekend flying report" to the membership each week to get folks jazzed about flying that weekend. I often include tidbits of news.

I want to promote the ESL OPEN.

Playing dumb, ( comes easy ) if I hit the calendar I can see there are events being held in some kind of coded locations that I don't know about.

I see there is an i button that has some info. It has info about contest type. More please!

Here is additional content suggetsions:

Maybe a link to some photos from past events so people can see what kind of place it is, what kind of people fly and what kind of planes are being flown. Nothing fancy.

Link to the host club's web site. Looks like this is usually there but not for this one. This will likely have things like location, directions, etc.

CD's name and e-mail

Perhaps some way to arrange car pools, or to post an interest in car pooling. Drives down cost, drives up opportunities to meet people. Increases the fun factor.

We did this in college for people heading home for holidays. Why not on the ESL web site? At $3/gallon it could be a hit!

Just some thoughts.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Long Island Silent Flyers

Edited by - aeajr on 09/29/2005 10:47:29 PM

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  3:03:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ed, that is a really good ida, I am posting an email exchange which I think falls under the same effort. Let's work on this over the winter.

Jose;
Here is what I was thinking. You may want to consider developing a
standard format of presentation for all types of contests, TD, MOM, F3J, F3B
& HLG. As an example; Start with standard paragraph headings ie. Contest
Type, Description, The Objective, The Flying Task, The Landing Task,
Scoring, The Strategy For Winning. This kind of format lends itself to
something easy to understand. Of course the headings may require editorial
review. That was what I was thinking.

Kurt...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 3:58 PM
To
Subject: RE: suggestion for esl website

Kurt I think this is a good idea, many of the new comers are not aware of
what to expect at a contest, if we did something like this it would take
much of the guess work and making it a bit less stressful.

We can do a "what to expect at a contest" and a description of different
contest formats section.

Can you send me some questions that would help us shape this section?

Thank you!

Jose

>From: "Kurt W. Zimmerman" <>
>To:
>Subject: suggestion for esl website
>Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:28:44 -0400
>
>Jose;
> Just a suggestion. For me it would be worth having information on
>the website describing the contest formats used in the ESL. This doesn't
>have to be anything fancy but maybe define the TD format, landing task(s)
>and Man on Man event.
>
>Wadda U think?
>
>Kurt
>
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  05:46:51 AM  Show Profile
In addition to flying sailplanes, I sell technology for a living. It becomes very clear very fast that if the customer doesn't feel he understands what you are selling, he won't buy.

That doesn't mean you have to give him every detail. I made that mistake a lot in the begining. It means you take a lot of complex bits and roll them into a few simple ideas that he can grasp.

Here might be an example of how I would describe an ESL event based on my limited experience at the LISF events.
==================

What does the ESL format look like and what do you need to qualify to fly.

Qualify:

Safety - you must be able to handle your plane safely in the air. While you are not required to fly close to other planes, you must be aware of any other planes that might be near you to avoid mid air collisions. Having 2 or more planes working the same thermal can occur so be aware of what is around your plane. This is a matter of safety, and it is also courteous flying.

Launching - ESL uses electric winches to launch the sailplanes. Hi-starts are not permitted. If you are not yet the master of the winch, no problem. You may bring someone else with you to launch your plane, but the pilot must be in control of the radio during the launch. Or, you can ask any one of the other pilots to launch for you. While this is a competition, it is also a very friendly atmosphere where people help each other. Yes we are competing but we are here to have fun. So don't be embarrassed or afraid to ask for help launching your plane. At some point we all needed help.

Landing - You must be able to land your plane safely in the landing area. The more precisely you can land the plane the more likely you are to gain landing points. However if you can't put it down on the spot every time, you can still compete. Many pilots miss their landing points. Over time you will build up your precision landing skills and can move into expert where the difference between winning and not may be the precision of your landing. Even if you never become a serious competitor, working on landing skills is something we all need to do.

Grouping of pilots and planes

Classes - ESL groups pilots into two skill levels so that pilots can fly against other pilots of similar skills.

Sportsman are the newer pilots who are developing their skills. They may be flying for only a few months or they may be flying for years. If you are new to sailplanes, enter as a sportsman. Other than what is listed above under safety, there are no other pilot qualifications. If you can fly, you can join in the fun of competition with other pilots who share your love of soaring.

Experts are very experienced pilots. If you are accustomed to competition and have a good command of the task you will find plenty of challenge here. Many of our pilots hold regional, national and international titles. If you are up to some serious competition and have the skills, our expert class is for you. While you can enter an ESL event for the first time as an expert, most start as sportsman and earn their way up to the expert level.

Planes - ESL does not currently group planes by class. Pilots may fly planes of any wing span and any construction. We have pilots flying planes made of wood, foam, fiberglass and other material. If you are just starting out on a Gentle Lady or a Spirit, feel welcome in our sportsman class. You may move up to the more expensive planes over time, but remember that it is the skill of the pilot just as much as the features of the plane that determines who wins. With good skills, you can win with any plane. So fly what you have. You will be welcome.

The format of the competition

The Task - ESL Contests are based on thermal duration tasks. The pilot is asked to demonstrate their skills through the completion of a timed flight followed by a precision landing. A typical task might involve a 7 minute flight. Pilots launch, typically in groups of four. You launch, and go hunting for lift. At precisely 7 minutes you should have touched down in the landing area. You lose points for seconds over or under the designated task.

The timer - The timer has two jobs. Even if you are not flying, you can participate in an ESL event by being a timer. The timer's job is to time the flight and to help the pilot be aware of how much time they have left to complete their task an land. The timer will report the pilot's scores.

You can bring your own timer, however it is common for the timer to be another pilot at the event or someone who has agreed to be a designated timer for that contest. Most pilots don't bring a timer. The ESL contest director can help match up pilots with timers.

In addition to helping you time your flight and reporting your scores, the timer can actually help you by telling you where other pilots are, who has found lift, and other useful information. This allows you to focus on your flying. If you have a coach, feel free to bring them to be your timer.

It is not uncommon for one of the experts pilots to time for a sportsman. While the flight is going on, if the sportsman would like some advice, the expert is permitted to provide tips, suggestions and advice. This is like flying in competition with a coach at your side. You don't have to accept coaching or advice, but it is permitted and is a common practice. This is a great way for new pilots to develop their skills. Even if you don't win, you will likely come away a better pilot based on the working relationship with the timer.

And sportsman can time for experts. Many experts welcome sportsman as timers. You can learn a lot timing for an expert both in how to fly and how to be a good timer. So don't hesitate to offer to time for another pilot. You will meet some great people and learn a lot watching and learning from others.

Spot Landing - Landing points are awarded based on how closely the pilot can place the nose of their plane to a designated spot. Typically there are landing tapes that have graduated scores which can be from 1 to 100 points based on how close the pilot is to the landing spot. While the experts expect to make landing points on every flight pilots of all classes will miss the mark. This is a test of skills, so over time you can expect to make your landing points more consistently. Watching how pilots set up for their landings, approach the landing zone an how they set the plane on the spot is both exciting and an education in itself.

Make no mistake, this is competition. There will be winners and there will be awards. However if this is your first contest, come and fly with us. You will have fun, make new friends and develop your skills. And if you are a serious competitor, you will find the competition challenging and exciting. We have plenty of both for everyone.

==========================

Feel free to use anything you find useful.

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums
Go to Top of Page

aeajr

477 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  10:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Antoher thought! ( oh no Ed, not another.. )

If I look at the site today I can not find any information about where the ESL flies other than a city and state designation on the calendar. Once we close registration, we close access to any information about that contest. So, if I was interested in where the ESL events were flown, or who registerd for that event, I am out of luck!

May I suggest a page that is always open, that lists the contests and a link to the sponsoring clubs. This does not have to have dates, just a list of the places the contests are held. Again, if you want to add some pictures from past ESL events at each site, that is always attractive.

Someone who is interested could look at the locations and decide that several were within easy reach and might try out a few contests next year. The easier we make it the more likely people will join.

BTW, I just posted a new thread on RCGroups and RCUniverse about the ESL, based on the post I wrote above. It will be interesting to see if I get any responses.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422556

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/post.asp?do=add&forumid=112

Best regards,
Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums

Edited by - aeajr on 10/01/2005 10:33:20 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: