Open discussion
 Traveling to ESL contests
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  08:50:33 AM  Show Profile
This may move to a separate topic, but let me kick off the discussion by voicing some opinions:

I and several other CRRC members travel to 4 or 5 ESL contests, other than our own, every year. This is fairly high for the ESL and I believe I can explain it:

A) We carpool, which has several benefits: The social interaction and the shared cost are the most important factors.

B) We share hotel rooms to help control costs. We also have one person of the group take responsibility for booking hotel rooms for the whole group.

C) We actively recruit new members to the group.

Can we do better? Yes, but it becomes hard. On the old days Chris Schuch's family owned a motor home which we would use to drive to contests. It was a little rough to camp out, but a pile of fun. Unfortunately, the best we can do nowadays is SUVs, minivans and wagons. Cutting lodging costs would help, but we have become picky and the "Cat Lady" AKA the "Hillside Motel" near Reading, doesn't meet our standards any more.

The is another, important, dimension, which is the "draw factor". We have a top 5 list of contests that we always try to go to: LISF 1 and 2, DBSF, LASS, and the ESL EOS.

LISF: Its the closest, Stilwell field is great except for the ballfields, but the restriction is reasonable (if you land there, you are out for the day, but you can fly over them). We also really enjoy the MOM format, and personally I like the gang there.

DBSF: Great field, reasonable distance, and well-run contests.

LASS: The kickoff contest of the year. Reasonable distance, gorgeous sod farms, wide open spaces, howling winds, lashing rains.

EOS: DBSF plus the fact that it is the EOS, what more can I say.

Then there are the contests we rarely go to. It is worth examining why:

SKSS: I hate to be brutal, but the flight restrictions over the housing development do a lot to take the enjoyment out of competing there.

SJSF: The size of the field and the height of the trees surrounding it make it a challenging place to fly. My personal view is that I would like to include SJSF on my list, but the group as a whole isn't enthusiastic.

CASA: CASA used to be on our "cannot miss" list in the 80's and early 90's when it was held at the National Geographic headquarters. It was the biggest contest, by far, and the site was gorgeous. Frank Pond's field is fantastic, but Manassas is a long, long drive from Boston, and it is really hard to make it a weekend trip.

So in summary:

Pluses: Easy travel, good field, well-run contest.

Minuses: Long distance, hotel cost.

I have deliberately omitted our own contest. I would appreciate comments on why people do and don't come.

Anker

Anker

83 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  08:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Here is the list of "frequent flyers" from 2004, with more than 2 contest days. Worth studying:

First Name Last Name Contests
TONY Guide 15
Paul Bell 14
Phil Barnes 13
TERRY Luckenbach 13
George Hill 12
David Walter 11
JOSE Bruzual 11
Bruce Schneider 10
Mike Lachowski 10
THOMAS Kiesling 10
ANKER Berg-Sonne 9
FRITZ Bien 9
PETER Schlitzkus 9
Jan Kansky 8
JERRY Zeigenfuse 8
John Jenks 8
KERRY Cochrell 8
RICK Brown 8
STEWart Swanson 8
Gary Atkinson 7
JEFF Newcum 7
JOSH Glaab 7
Luis Bustamante 7
TOM Broeski 7
DALE Hart 6
Jeff Steifel 6
John Bitzer 6
LEE Messick 6
Leszek Zyga 6
Mark Drela 6
ALAN Schwerin 5
Carl Luft 5
Chuck Robinett 5
John Hauff 5
Robert Cherry 5
Benjamin LAWLESS 4
Bill Groft 4
Bill Vida 4
Ed Anderson 4
Eric Schlitzkus 4
Frank Strommer 4
John Nilsson 4
Miner Crary 4
Pete Nicholson 4
Ray Meyer 4
Rich Watson 4
Steve lucke 4
TOM WALKER 4
Fred Tyra 3
John Appling 3
Phil Abatelli 3
Regis White 3
ROBERT Buxton 3
Robert Magee 3
Go to Top of Page

jsteifel

40 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  09:17:03 AM  Show Profile
Anker, I will respond to your question about CRRC.
I for one attend the Nats, and on some years your contest is the week following the Nats. Its' a little hard to get up and go after a week at the nats. You have to take care of the house, the dog, etc.
When it is 2 weeks away it is easier, but still sometimes family events interfere.

I also consider CASA a cannot miss event. The hospitality of Frank Thompson, the relaxed atmosphere, the beautiful field. It's a cannot miss. I am worried that CASA's numbers are dropping. It appears electric has taken over and there are few sailplane fliers anymore. They are having problems getting their own club members to come out and compete, and help.

I wish Sussex County Thermal Sniffers would allow a contest. The best damn field anywhere. Near (the old vernon valley great gorge resort/ playboy resort) now called Magic Mountain I believe. 100 acres of the softest sod farm around, surrounded by hundreds of acres of sod farm.
There are no tree line generators to speak of, but plenty of lift off the black dirt. I am now an outsider since I don't show up often. I used to be a vocal member, I took care of equipement for years and did the secretary position for a while. I would like to see about getting them on track... It would be close to you. It is in Pine Island NY...

Jeff Steifel
Go to Top of Page

flyeslhost

158 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  1:36:57 PM  Show Profile
This topic has been move to here:

http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=169

Thank you
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly